• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have a triple gauge pod with speaker hole for my a-pillar. What three gauges should I get? I originally wanted trans temp, egt's, and boost. But I have been reading a lot about how important fuel pressure is to monitor also. What are you guys running? And what is the best combo set up? :shrug: If I go with all 4 gauges, where would the best place be to placed the other one? :think: Thanks guys.

Fuel pressure, egt are definite. Boost is nice but if stock, not a necessity. Trans temp if auto and tow often is nice to have as well. I run trans temp, fuel, egt and boost. You can run three on pillar and one on column cover. I just used a radio shack project box as a gauge holder. Its not pretty but it's functional. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I feel there are 4 criticals especially if you do heavy towing. Fuel pressure and egt's are a must. Trans temp is also important unless you dont do much towing. Ive only had one for 2 years now but I wish I had it longer. Like Rogan said boost isnt super important on a stock engine but I use the boost gauge in conjuction with my egt gauge to adjust my driving when towing anything heavy. For example If my egt is climbing and boost is down low, I might knock it down a gear or back out of the throttle a little. These engines are pretty tough but I feel alot better knowing where my engine is at in those terms.I have my boost, egt and trans temp on my pillar and I made a bracket for my fuel pressure gauge and bolted it into my ashtray. I have the gauge angled so that I can see it and the bonus is the green light thats in the ashtray lights up the gauge at night so I can see it. Nothing fancy by any means, but it's cheap and functional. I just bought a cheapo mechanical gauge, had next to nothing invested in it.post-11861-138698202465_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I recently rewired my gauges, and included a couple of these (see pic). Now if I ever need to remove gauge cluster for whatever reason, all I have to do is unplug. Of course, the boost line and pyro cable must be disconnected too. Just an idea if you change out some gauges.

post-11159-138698202493_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Whats the red light? Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

If that question is for me, it is a low pressure indicator. I honestly would not pay money for one because it does not go off until your below 4 or 5 p.s.i. but it was given to me so I figured why not. It lights up like a christmas tree when it is triggered and I figured I would use it as a last call in case I'm in one of those dazed and confused moments if/when my lift pump craps out. "Hey stupid look at me!" :omg::gages:

Anyone who has a steering column gauge pod, could you share some pics? Also how much of a blocker is it of your gauge cluster/instrument panel? Thanks :thumbup2:

- - - Updated - - -

I recently rewired my gauges, and included a couple of these (see pic). Now if I ever need to remove gauge cluster for whatever reason, all I have to do is unplug. Of course, the boost line and pyro cable must be disconnected too. Just an idea if you change out some gauges.

Your using these to run your power/ground lines I take it? Just get the opposing end to attach to the gauge and such?

- - - Updated - - -

This is a question I asked.

Look for the link in the first post.

Those are sweet! A very pricey alternative. But I like the trans temp/ rear end temp combo also lol! It will also allow a lot of monitoring without having gauges every where lol.

• Owner

I'm a manual trans guy so...* Fuel Pressure* Pyrometer* BoostThose are the three gauges I run. What I would in your case is consider doing another 4 gauge pod on the column for the trans temp. I'm considering as a toy is getting a rear diff gauge and mounting it on the column and then add a toggle switch so I have a sensor in the diff and one in the trans so I can check either temp on the fly. 2 in 1 combo deal and cover my tail. :whistle:

• Like 1

Anyone who has a steering column gauge pod, could you share some pics? Also how much of a blocker is it of your gauge cluster/instrument panel? Thanks :thumbup2:

I just recently got an autometer gauge pod installed on my steering column. With an isspro ev2 trans. temp. gauge. If I can remember while I'm out and about working on the truck today, I'l snap some pics. Busy putting in my 5th wheel hitch... It does not really block that much of your instrument panel. Only time its in the way is when I need to see the WTS light in the morning and when I need to make sure I'm doing 20 in a school zone. Other then that, if an idiot light comes on, it will ding. So I'm not worried about not seeing one of them until it dings... I'm glad I have the trans temp gauge there as well because its very easy to glance at. Thats important when going heavy..

I'm a manual trans guy so... * Fuel Pressure * Pyrometer * Boost Those are the three gauges I run. What I would in your case is consider doing another 4 gauge pod on the column for the trans temp. I'm considering as a toy is getting a rear diff gauge and mounting it on the column and then add a toggle switch so I have a sensor in the diff and one in the trans so I can check either temp on the fly. 2 in 1 combo deal and cover my tail. :whistle:

How likely do you think it would be for you to smoke a diff. from getting it too hot? I've thought about the 3 gauge dash pod to put front, rear and maybe fuel temp., ambient air temp, or drive pressure in it. But how many heavy pullers reallyhave a diff. temp. gauge? I would almost say as long as your fluid stays good and full, add a larger diff. cover with cooling fins and be done. Adding a total 7 gauges more to the truck to monitor things is more justifiable to go with an EDGE CTS. Atleast everything is contained to a single monitor and you can pick what you want to read. Many many options with that route. Especially when you get a tuner, to boot!
  • Like 1

I'm a manual trans guy so...

* Fuel Pressure

* Pyrometer

* Boost

Those are the three gauges I run. What I would in your case is consider doing another 4 gauge pod on the column for the trans temp. I'm considering as a toy is getting a rear diff gauge and mounting it on the column and then add a toggle switch so I have a sensor in the diff and one in the trans so I can check either temp on the fly. 2 in 1 combo deal and cover my tail. :whistle:

I've thought about the rear end as well but I'm not too sure I'm gonna worry too much. You're idea with the toggle switch is clever and may borrow that idea from if I end up doing anything with the rear diff. :thumbup2:

- - - Updated - - -

Adding a total 7 gauges more to the truck to monitor things is more justifiable to go with an EDGE CTS. Atleast everything is contained to a single monitor and you can pick what you want to read. Many many options with that route. Especially when you get a tuner, to boot!

That was my next idea, if I'm gonna start to monitor everything, I might as well drop the coin :spend:and get a computer/tuner/screen and have em all in one. Now I've got some more thinking to do, lol! :think:

• Owner

That was my next idea, if I'm gonna start to monitor everything, I might as well drop the coin :spend:and get a computer/tuner/screen and have em all in one. Now I've got some more thinking to do, lol! :think:

Just remember when the tuner, computer or display goes you lose all you gauges. But if you go modular then if a single gauge goes you only have to replace 1 gauge. But with the tuner 9 times out of 10 you end up replacing the entire thing maybe under warranty or maybe on your own dime. Something to consider.
  • Like 1

Alright, so yo caught me on a lunch break...

Posted Image

^ Right here at the bottom, it could use a little work with a dremel to make the gauge fit flush.

Posted Image

^ If I was able to take off the column covers(did ot have a torx extension) then I would have been able to route the wiring better. Take the OEM covers off, route your wiring, drill a hole through the top cover where it will be covered by the gauge pod and then hook it up. Should make for a cleaner install.. Be sure to cycle the tilt so you know the wires do not get pinched.

Posted Image

^ Went to the hardware store and got beefier barbs instead of the ones that came with it. Fits alot better. Although, when you drill the holes for them, push down on the cover good so you have a nice tight fit. The pod is not contoured 100% acurate so you will have reveal problems like seen in this pic, behind the key cylinder.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Just remember when the tuner, computer or display goes you lose all you gauges. But if you go modular then if a single gauge goes you only have to replace 1 gauge. But with the tuner 9 times out of 10 you end up replacing the entire thing maybe under warranty or maybe on your own dime. Something to consider.

Once again, a very good point. 100-200 dollar gauge or 600-1200 computer. hmm. Dagum, so many choices and so much to consider. :think:

http://www.genosgarage.com/IN-DASH-GAUGE-INSTALLATION-KIT-SINGLE-99-02/productinfo/GM-DG-01FACE-9902/ Ive got boost, pyro, and fuel pressure on pilar, then ordered this from Geon's garage. Pull of dash surround and pull cubby hole on 2nd gens. Needs a bit of dremel work to open up for some gauges. I'm putting the tranny temp in there so I can put the wife in charge of monitoring that one on the towing runs. I'll actually put an angle collar for better viewing. Not certain its worth, the couple bucks, but when ordering and knowing I didnt have any materials in the shop, worth it to me. I like the way it looks.