• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got a new toy today

Yes, hopefully have a p-pump before the new year. My buddy buys every truck he come across if he thinks he can make some money. I told him to save me the pump before he parted the motor out and he said there was a discount for pulling it myself, so I jumped on it. I say I'm not in a hurry to get it swapped but I may get the itch early. ;)

Hey 98, can I ask what you have planned for your truck down the road that caused you to decide to make the swap? Pulling or drag racing? Reason I'm asking is usually the only time I ever see someone go this route is because they're going for huge horsepower beyond the 600HP mark vp is capable of.

Hey 98, can I ask what you have planned for your truck down the road that caused you to decide to make the swap? Pulling or drag racing? Reason I'm asking is usually the only time I ever see someone go this route is because they're going for huge horsepower beyond the 600HP mark vp is capable of.

Generally thats the case. The other is simply people get tired of electronics/vp44 and want a consistent/reliable alternative - thats the p7100. Another is boredom/something different. You can switch out all your electronics and cores and parts and not be too $$ heavy into a conversion. If my vp44 goes ..... Id likely take consider this route. RYan - make sure you collect a full list of parts and do a "sticky" how to on here. I know theres lots on CF - but useful to have one our writeups here also. When you do it - let me know - I'll bring some beers.
  • Like 1

Hey 98, can I ask what you have planned for your truck down the road that caused you to decide to make the swap? Pulling or drag racing? Reason I'm asking is usually the only time I ever see someone go this route is because they're going for huge horsepower beyond the 600HP mark vp is capable of.[QUOTE]

:lmao::lmao2::lol:, Try telling that to the masses of VP44 guys who are between 600 and 800 hp on fuel only and with injectables to and over 1000 hp on VP's. Factory SO pumps are good to between 650-700 hp, I know of several personally a wee over 650 on factory so VP44's. over that one needs to go to the dragon flow pumps super hot rod pumps ect.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully you got the front gear cover and housing and cam gear too along with all the throttle linkage and related parts as long as you had a donor.

From what I have read - most guys struggle over 650 on stock vp44 - fuel only. Dragon/Super flow pumps can get you to like 800 but then you need NOS/WM or another injectable to get over 800.

roughly.

DIESEL POWER - August 2012

VP44 (fuel only) Horsepower Record 931hp Dodge, Johnny Gilbert

Hometown: Middlebury, Indiana

Truck: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500

Engine: 5.9L Cummins, 0.040-inch-over short-block built by Redline Diesel Power with Mahle cast-aluminum pistons; Hamilton Cams 181/210 camshaft; mildly ported, O-ringed 24-valve head; valvesprings; ARP 625 head studs

Fuel: MJ Tool Fab number 3 Monster Pump VP44, custom top-feed injectors

Tuning: Edge Juice with Attitude, custom ECM tuning

Air: Bullseye Power triple-turbo (two S300-based 66/71 chargers over an S300-based 66/74) with BatMoWheel compressor wheels and internal wastegates, TurboSmart blow-off valve, BD Diesel intercooler, Stainless Diesel T3 exhaust manifold

Transmission: HTS 47RE with 48RE hard parts, MJ Tool Fab custom input shaft, one-off single-disc torque converter

Horsepower and Torque: 931 hp and 1,652 lb-ft

^^^ FUle ONly ....... monster pump ....... custom setup - this was the old record - but I think he raised the bar ... since

• Like 1

John hit it on the head. I have never had any problems out of my vp44 but I don't know how many miles are on it and you never know how long they will last. Its had a fass with good pressure on it since 2007 so I hope it lasts a while longer. I like the simplicity of the mechanical pump compared to all the electronics. I really just love doing these kinds of projects and, kinda like my auto to nv4500 swap. I have gathered all the parts I believe I need including pump gear, gear cover, and throttle linkage. We couldn't get the cam out to get the gear housing so im gonna go work on that again today. I will also need to buy some fuel lines. :woot:

• Like 1

John hit it on the head. I have never had any problems out of my vp44 but I don't know how many miles are on it and you never know how long they will last. Its had a fass with good pressure on it since 2007 so I hope it lasts a while longer. I like the simplicity of the mechanical pump compared to all the electronics. I really just love doing these kinds of projects and, kinda like my auto to nv4500 swap. I have gathered all the parts I believe I need including pump gear, gear cover, and throttle linkage. We couldn't get the cam out to get the gear housing so im gonna go work on that again today. I will also need to buy some fuel lines. :woot:

It's nice to have fun toys!:woot: Good luck w it, Dave

If I could down load from personal experience and my memory I would, I have seen them at several Dyno events, I have seen many videos of high hp VP's on youtube, you can search as easy as I can. I was at 530 hp stock vp44 and 560 Hrvp44 with little 150 BD sticks and an II silver 62, with 200+ sticks and a 66mm turbo easily puts most well over 600 hp. 650ish is usually the norm without injectables on stock SO VP44.

650ish is usually the norm without injectables on stock SO VP44.

Going back to my original post you were laughing at that is what I said or at least within 50 HP. That is what I was referencing, the stock vp on his truck:shrug: As for the dragonfires nobody around here that I know has ever ran them why spend 2500 bucks on a pump when you can p pump it like Ryan is doing.

Well this could be very interesting. I never see any accurate results for mileage or anything on these swaps, or I don't trust the guys giving them. Note every difference that you notice no matter how small when you get this done.

I will, I hope to up my mileage. I keep up with every tank so I will be able to tell any little change after I get the timing and all set to my liking. I may go ahead and get another set of injectors and have them set to p-pump pop off pressure since I will have it all apart.

Going back to my original post you were laughing at that is what I said or at least within 50 HP. That is what I was referencing, the stock vp on his truck:shrug: As for the dragonfires nobody around here that I know has ever ran them why spend 2500 bucks on a pump when you can p pump it like Ryan is doing.

Sorry :ashamed: I am kind of anal about some details, folks like the adjustability of the electronics versus a set P-pump. If one is after a useable daily driver and still have the capability of high HP the P-pump isn't the best choice. VP44 with 150-200 sticks and twin turbos and H20 meth injection capable 700+ hp and still a usable daily driver by turning the comp down priceless, constant tuning on a P-pump to go back and forth not very appealing to most.
  • Like 1

I will, I hope to up my mileage. I keep up with every tank so I will be able to tell any little change after I get the timing and all set to my liking. I may go ahead and get another set of injectors and have them set to p-pump pop off pressure since I will have it all apart.

If you are planning on selling your programmers I know someone who may be interested in your Smarty. If he has any money this month:doh: I'm hoping he gets one soon so I can stop making excuses on why he can't borrow mine every other weekend. Werent you stacking tuners at one time?