• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sludge/Honey in the bottom of the fuel filter canister,

I went to drain my fuel filter canister today, turned the drain valve nothing came out, not even a drop of fuel came out. So I pulled the canister it was full of fuel, pulled the filter out dumped the fuel out. Looked in the bottom and there is about 3/4" or so of sludge, it has the consistency or pours about like honey very thick. It's about the color of fuel.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? I been running 3 oz of two stroke oil every other tank since I bought the truck. I wonder if it could be gathering in the bottom of the filter housing? I have only owned the truck since last Nov, I changed the filter the day after I bought the truck. I have not even put 6000 miles on the truck since the filter change and the housing was clean last time. This is the first filter change, wonder what the honey is??

Thanks!

That is odd.... is this truck your daily driver? Seeing how your only driving it 900 mile's a month that could be a possibilty but, only 3 oz that's hardly any so it really shoudn't be gunking up. Were there any performance issue's loss of power, stumbleing? Loss of Fuel pressure if you have a Fuel gauge.

I know that 3 oz is way less then recommend or proper mix ratio (should not even be noticeable in the system) I found a deal on these 3 oz two stroke bottles, and have been dumping one in every other fill up. So you would think it would be really well diluted in the fuel, or hardly even noticeable. I dumped in two at once one fill up, but that still is way below the recommend ratio.No the truck is not my daily driver, my daily driver is a old 1970's dodge pickup. The truck has 13 lbs fuel pressure at idle and cruising, and goes down to 9-10 when you stand on it. That is why it is not my daily driver, I only drive the 1998.5 when I go more then 1 hour away from home and I baby it then, sometimes it will sit in the driveway for a week or more at a time. I have been saving for a glacier diesel fuel boss pump to get my fuel pressure higher and also one of their fuel filter kits that completely replaces the stock canister. My canister has a few leaks and I would rather have one a with spin on filter anyways. I got the fuel boss and filter head in the mail last week started to install it today, and when taking off the canister is when I saw the honey. Once the glacier parts are on the 1998.5 will be my daily driver.The truck does have a surging problem, it mainly does it with the cruise on but I have noticed it a few times without the cruise. I was hoping the surging problem was sucking air on the leaking canister, and I am kind of hoping the surging goes away after I get all new fuel system parts on it, if sucking air is the problem. If not I was going to look into the APPS for the surging. My only thought about the honey is, that since the truck does not have the best fuel pressure right now with the stock carter set up it is not pushing the two stroke oil through the whole system? I mean, most of you guys are running 15-20 lbs F/P from what I have read. Two stroke is heavier then diesel fuel. My only thought is maybe my weaker/lower pressure stock system was not letting it get through the filter and it is just settling at the bottom? I did read on one of the other forums about a guy that also had two stroke oil settling at the bottom of his filter.I will see if I can get a picture of the honey tomorrow, I only dumped the fuel out today. The only thing I can think is it is two stroke oil.

• Owner

Very curious what you find out. But as for the 2 cycle oil to be the cause I kind of doubt it. Typically 2 cycle oil will mix on contact with diesel fuel and the slosh of the fuel mixes it as well. But something that thick I will be looking at fuel stations maybe a bad tank of biodiesel? I know that a bad tank of biodiesel will separate and sink to the bottom.

Very curious what you find out. But as for the 2 cycle oil to be the cause I kind of doubt it. Typically 2 cycle oil will mix on contact with diesel fuel and the slosh of the fuel mixes it as well. But something that thick I will be looking at fuel stations maybe a bad tank of biodiesel? I know that a bad tank of biodiesel will separate and sink to the bottom.

I have a fear that someone was using biodiesel and it separated in your fuel tank. Best just pull the tank and clean it. Could also be a water leak in the fuel station holding tank. Is it a golden yellow color?

Here are a few pictures of the honey. I don't think it is two stroke anymore, it's way to thick for two stroke looking at it more. The first pic I tipped the canister completely upside down for a few seconds just to get it to flow to the edge and it still did not flow out of the canister. The second pic, I just rotated the canister a 1/4 turn note how the honey just hangs or sticks to the side of the canister, this stuff is very thick.post-12369-138698203205_thumb.jpgpost-12369-138698203215_thumb.jpgLast time I fueled the truck up full, was three weeks ago at a Loves truck stop outside of Denver. I noticed a green sticker on the pump that said, may contain up to 5% Bio Diesel, maybe the honey is Bio, not sure? Or maybe the Loves tank had more then 5% in it? 90% of the time I get my fuel at the local Co-op in the farm community where I live. It's the only place to get diesel in town, they move a lot of diesel though there being the only place in town, grain trucks, semis, tractors, pickups, etc the Co-op moves a lot of fuel. I now wonder if that is where I got the honey or at the Loves?I have a draw straw I am going to install with the fuel boss, so when I pull the sending unit in the next few days I will report back if I find more honey in the bottom of the tank.Thanks!

Here are a few pictures of the honey. I don't think it is two stroke anymore, it's way to thick for two stroke looking at it more. The first pic I tipped the canister completely upside down for a few seconds just to get it to flow to the edge and it still did not flow out of the canister. The second pic, I just rotated the canister a 1/4 turn note how the honey just hangs or sticks to the side of the canister, this stuff is very thick. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5633[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5634[/ATTACH] Last time I fueled the truck up full, was three weeks ago at a Loves truck stop outside of Denver. I noticed a green sticker on the pump that said, may contain up to 5% Bio Diesel, maybe the honey is Bio, not sure? Or maybe the Loves tank had more then 5% in it? 90% of the time I get my fuel at the local Co-op in the farm community where I live. It's the only place to get diesel, they move a lot of diesel though there being the only place in town, grain trucks, semis, tractors, pickups, etc the Co-op moves a lot of fuel. I now wonder if that is where I got the honey or at the Loves? I have a draw straw I am going to install with the fuel boss, so when I pull the sending unit in the next few days I will report back if I find more honey in the bottom of the tank. Thanks!

To confirm use a pH test strip and if it is 10 it is alkaline. Let's assume it will be 10 pH, add lemon juice and it will neutralize to 6 or 7 and should clean up easier. It would be glycerin and NaOH/Lye (sodium hydroxide). Wear protective glove and wash your hands quickly after contact, it can also be flammable......methanol.

When I was out in OK a while back I encountered fuel pumps with a green sticker label as B-5. It said it could contain up to 20% bio diesel. I just filled up on Sunday at a pump with a green sticker that said B-10 and may contain up to 20% bio diesel. Both in OK and the last place in NC were Love's Travel Centers. I have to believe it is not Loves as far as the stickers go, there has to be some kind of standard mandated by the government on labeling. Anyway, I have never seen the honey you have though. That stuff looks just like honey and appears to move about as fast.