• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pikes Peak, test passed

ISX

I went to denver to go white water rafting and took the jeep with its fancy new 3 core radiator which runs around 200 under normal cruise. I went all the way up pikes peak nonstop and it got to 210 and that was it. It was kinda early in the morning so not a lot of people were out while I was up there. I stopped for a couple hours climbing all along the rocks trying to kill myself and it was noon by the time I started going back down. I just threw it in 2nd gear and let it whine all the way down and there is a checkpoint around 5 miles below the summit since the final 5 are the hardest. They check for brake temperature and its a resting point if you are going uphill since its another 15 miles past that to the bottom. I was following a BMW down and they told her her brakes were pretty hot and she needed to take it easy. In the past I have seen them tell people they should sit and let the brakes cool down. I pulled up and she said "199F, get outta here". After researching I found that 300F is when they tell you to let them cool for an hour. Apparently when they get hotter than that, brakes top functioning as well and they have had plenty of examples of people flying off the hairpin curves. There were lots of people pulled over already letting their brakes cool but to my surprise there were lots of people with their hoods open as well. Apparently the first 15 miles was too much. Thing is, these were brand new trucks and SUV's. Here I am in a 94' jeep piece of crap sailing up and down it. Was funny really. Does make me wonder how hot my truck would get. My theory is that since they have to drive up it at unlocked speeds and most have automatics, the tranny strains unlocked for alllllll those miles of steep grade and the heat transfers to the engine coolant through the tranny heat exchanger and eventually they just overheat. :shrug: Still a sight to see lol. I made sure to wave as I went by.

post-45-138698206245_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That semi truck that is drifting and stuff that I think people have seen on here is actually built for the pikes peak race. 2 hours away after a 10 hour trip stodg? :lol::moon: Let alone the constant 60mph crosswind in Kansas.

The truck is parked for now. Been parked for a year ever since I had the tire blow out. I don't have the money or the need to drive it or fix it being in a big city now. The jeep flys around here effortlessly so driving that thing would just suck. It is basically just a trailer puller at this point but its a long ways from me having money again.

• Staff

The truck is parked for now. Been parked for a year ever since I had the tire blow out. I don't have the money or the need to drive it or fix it being in a big city now. The jeep flys around here effortlessly so driving that thing would just suck. It is basically just a trailer puller at this point but its a long ways from me having money again.

Gotcha, trucks are a little harder to drive in the city for sure but the lower cost to operate is nice (thou I don't know how efficient your jeep is).

My jeep gets around 18 on average so it's not too bad. I don't know if my dodge would get much better with the city driving crap. Plus it would never get up to operating temp in all these little jaunts.