• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I could not enlarge the spec page, but from what I could see, an empty weight of near 9k#, and a hitch weight of 1k#. None of that would be more than your truck could handle. Bare in mind that loaded the weights will go up. I am hauling a 5'r that weighs about 15k with a pin weight of about 3k# and she handles it well. I am about 3k#over weight how ever. The trailer you have chosen is well within the factory ratings for your truck and should be ok. That is as long is I am reading the spec sheet properly.

I'm confused as to why they do not list a GVW or Cargo capacity rating. That being said, if I had that weight for my 5th wheel, I would not even look back. Although, I'm not necessarily stock, either. You have a manual although, so your sitting better than me in the trans. dept.If your going to be a stickler and want something that will be under spec ratings, it will probably be over when the trailer is grossed out. If you look at what beastly thing I pull on occassion, it would probably make you feel more confident in pulling this one your looking at. Take a look at the trailer, in my sig.Is it over ratings? Mostly... Is it necessarily safe? Pushing the limits... Does the truck do it? YEP. But I sure as heck would get a better truck if I had the chance...Stopping is becoming the biggest challenge. I'm eyeing an exhaust brake, but priorities can be a tricky thing.

• Staff

I would never bother with overloads, go straight to airbags. I would ditch my overloads in a heartbeat if I had the momentum to do it.

My overloads wore down and got weak. Had an extra spring added and that lost strength also. Next truck I got Pac Brake A/Bags on advice from Source Automotive and they perform just right. They get the thumbs up:thumbup2:

My overloads still work fine. If i did not have any I would have added air bags. My old trailer weighed right at 12k and I pulled it with my 96 with no overloads and it could be a little squirrely at times. The one I have now at 15k would probably have been to much for it.

Alright Mike we gotta do some work on your logic :evilgrin: Your truck is not our trucks. If your truck can handle a load, and I drive my truck there and it can't handle the load without hitting the overloads, what does that mean? Do I have to just barrow your truck every time? I realize you are proof that OEM springs can support a big load, but everyone else is proof that they wear over time. These are people with 1000lbs+ over the rear axle bouncing along the highway just like the guy with the bent hitch. It takes a toll on springs over time. My truck was used as a hotshotter before I got it and I can probably hit the overloads just jumping on the bumper. Springs wear, air bags don't. Springs also ride like crap compared to air bags. So there you have it. If you are trying to prove that OEM crap can support the load just fine, then yes, but it can't support it over time with the abuse that trailers put on them. So either let us barrow your truck and let us break your springs in or don't bring up your truck which has a completely different history than everyone elses. Don't hate, you know I'm right :lol::moon:

• Staff

You might be a little slow going up hills. My 5er's gross dry wt is 5995#, the gvwr is 7960# and the hitch weight is 960#. When it's all loaded up and I tow my boat trailer with a 14' Bass Tracker, a 110# outboard and fire wood stuffed in it behind the 5vr, the truck is on the helpers and 55 to 60mph going up a 6% grade. I estimate I'm pulling 9,000#, that's not counting the wife and all the junk she packs in the back seat of the cab.:cry:

Hex0rz is most likely way over when you notice the huge loss of capacity to Automatic transmission.

Most likely? :lmao: ....WAY over! When I cross into the WA state line off of I-90, their new weigh station has signs that will light up telling you to pull over to get weighed if your in the right lane and over 20k lbs., IIRC. I think the last CAT scale I weighed on, I was around 22k lbs... BUT, my trans temps. never give me any problems until I start backing it up into a spot. But with everyone being so smart here, I put 'er in that 4 low and it works like a champ!

Years ago, I had my gooseneck horse trailer in tow. I came on a scale and a sign that said >> ALL TRUCKS >> So I dutifully pulled in. They quickly told me to "Get Lost". Since then, I have presumed they only apply to commercial trucks. I've gone past a few where there was an officer directing trucks in. I am prepared to pull in if so directed but it hasn't happened yet. I'm supposing it depends on the state in question.Even with crazy tongue weight, I'm not on the overloads. Maybe it's the WD hitch.