• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Snow Performance Water Methnol worth it?

Ok so as the title say's after my first test run with my new camper. Which i have posted about in another thread in the trailer & RV section. Over all the truck did good had plenty of power to hold 5th gear on flat ground with enough power in reserve to speed up for a long hill. But on those 6% hill's sent me from 5th at 55 mph and 22psi @900 d EGT's to at the top of the hill 3rd at 38-40 mph and 31 psi at 1000-1100 d EGT's. I really couldn't give it more pedal which i had a whole lot of but the egt would jump in a heart beat to yellow but i never got over 1100. So while i was down at the lake i read my Diesel Power mag and would like to hear some of ya'lls thought's on getting a snow performance stage 2 kit for my truck rated to lower my egt's by 250 degree's along with a bump in mpg and Hp/tq. While a new intercooler would be nice at $550 i thought that was a better deal on the whole. But i would like ya'lls advice. look forward to everyones advice.

I too 'am in your same shoes. I ran almost exactly those same numbers when pulling my trailer. Except, I dunno what your MPG's are compared to mine.I was considering the propane injection setup for more MPG's but got steered away from it and was pointed to a water/meth kit like your considering. My curiosity is whether or not the water/meth kit can give me just as good mpg numbers as the propane setup or better? Yea, there is trade-off as the water/meth kit can cool things down.Anyways, I'd be interested what others have to say as well. I'm sure cumminsforum would have more people that would chime in on it though...

I myself have been thinking about a propane injection set up. I don't really have a problem with egts how I'm set up and what I haul, but I would like a boost in fuel economy. How much is a good set up and what does it take to install usually?

Propane is good of this ... Never run it .... There are some kits on eBay ..,. Not hugely expensive and its basically a DOT approved tank in bed with line feeds and solenoids to inject similar to methanol just different hardware... Someone e on this forum runs it.... And likes it

Why stay away from it?

Just an opinion. Very hard to dial in correctly .... Injects too much or too little .... Plus it uses a heck of a lot if methanol and its not cheap.... To me it's only good for dyno or racing short bursts. Once I went twins I never have to worry or fiddle anymore ..... Porting would do similar

I would suggest an injector upgrade and a performance box to increase your timing. Providing you don't drive any differently with the extra power you will see a bump in fuel economy and the advanced timing will help a little on the egt's. Without some fuel mods I'm not sure how much a turbo would help unless it was a variable geometry.

• Like 1

I would suggest an injector upgrade and a performance box to increase your timing.

The timing makes sense .... I think the biggest increase here would be less downshifting ... but EGT's would still be a problem since hes already going down to 3rd gear ...... not enough timing in the world to fix that

Without some fuel mods I'm not sure how much a turbo would help unless it was a variable geometry.

Yes the VGT would be a good option. My EGT dropped significantly simply from going from a HX35 to a he351cw ... around 100-150 degrees. A SuperB would probably have a similar effect .... more CFM and a larger exhaust turbine ..... a hybrid 35/40 is a good option also ....

If it was me ... Id twin it and be done ........ or do a turbo upgrade with a mild port job.

TURBO SPECS

Super B single: 57/65/14

HX35 8-blade:

A/R- 0.89

Compressor inducer- 56mm

Compressor exducer- 83mm

Compressor trim- 46

Turbine inducer- 69.5mm

Turbine exducer- 60mm

Turbine trim- 75

HX35 7-blade:

A/R- 0.89

Compressor inducer- 56mm

Compressor exducer- 76mm

Compressor trim- 54

Turbine inducer- 69.5mm

Turbine exducer- 60mm

Turbine trim- 75

HY35:

A/R- 0.65

Compressor inducer- 56mm

Compressor exducer- 76mm

Compressor trim- 54

Turbine inducer- 65mm

Turbine exducer- 58mm

Turbine trim- 80

HE351:

A/R- 0.65

Compressor inducer- 60mm

Compressor exducer- 84.582mm

Compressor trim- 54

Turbine inducer- 65mm

Turbine exducer- 58mm

Turbine trim- 80

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/he351-vs-hx35-t263640.html

Different sizings , different wheels make a big difference on air flow .... and EGT .......

Consider the HX35 at 56 compressor and the HE351 at 60 .... (or a hybrid) .... flows much more air with the bigger compressor and spools quicker in both cases as it has either the same exh housing or smaller :thumb1:

You can move to he351c for a couple hundred $$ after you sell the HX35. A hybrid a little more expensive. All of this on stock fuel .....

• Like 1

Thanks for the info I belive a box would help alot along with a set of 50-75 hp stick's. An i've always wanted to add twins but everyone tell's me you gotta add awhole lot of stuff like Hot Rod VP44, bigger injector's, Bigger tube's the .093 one's, Bigger intercooler, headstud's, chip or box, headwork not including building the bottom end to hold more presure.... And that would be nice but were talking about 12- 15k right But, if i set it up to only run like 30-35 PSI that's well within the head safezone i belive it lift's at 40psi correct? What is the bottom line of item's to add to have a twin turbo system or is all this a have to have? Iwould go with a system that reuses the stock turbo.

An i've always wanted to add twins but everyone tell's me you gotta add awhole lot of stuff like Hot Rod VP44, bigger injector's, Bigger tube's the .093 one's, Bigger intercooler, headstud's, chip or box, headwork not including building the bottom end to hold more presure.... And that would be nice but were talking about 12- 15k right

eh ? where did you hear all this .... :think: its a cummins not a ford ... hahahha Using your stock hx35 over a s472 (or ht3b if you want to save a cple $$) ..... your looking at $1900. And your time. Thats it. Now its recommended you have headstuds and a good tranny - but thats generally for larger than stock fueling. Id do the headstuds anyway - adds $400 - so you can get a NEW twin setup for $2300 using your stock hx35 as a primary and studs. I personally think its the best way to have eveything for power and EGT control. however .... its still a bit of $$ ...... no reason a he351cw on stock sticks shouldn't work for you .... or a used turbo for under $1k ... and just tune it all in :)
  • Like 1

No, timing alone will not decrease egt to the point of not having to worry about it, but it has been my experiences that added timing along with mild injectors adds a nice little bump in power and will definitely help the trucks towing manners. Then again, running at close to max gcvw on 6% grades is going to be tough on any truck, about the only thing to do is gear down and take your time.Hey John, I'm curious, how heavy have you towed with your twin set up?

No, timing alone will not decrease egt to the point of not having to worry about it, but it has been my experiences that added timing along with mild injectors adds a nice little bump in power and will definitely help the trucks towing manners.

Absolutely :thumbup2:

Then again, running at close to max gcvw on 6% grades is going to be tough on any truck, about the only thing to do is gear down and take your time.

I can pull most normal grades in OD ..... on a large grade .... not in OD ..... I can pretty much take it 55-60mph and be nowhere near downshiting, power on foot, and around 900-1000 EGT.

Hey John, I'm curious, how heavy have you towed with your twin set up?

around 12000 lbs I dont think twins are required ..... think you can do it without ...... but if you never want to worry about EGT again ..... no matter how you change the truck ..... then only twins ...... main reason for me ... got tired of chasing it ...

I have been on other website's and asked the question and get flogged for thinking i could just put on a twin over stock kit and a set of headstud's and was informed otherwise. So thank's for the info really got me wanting a set of twins. Do you have a suggestion as in a website to buy from?Thanks for the info i belive i will get a twin set up with my tax return next go around first i'm having the trans looked over and having any weak spots beefed up.

• Staff

I just want to clarify, stock motor right?You have no reason to be backing down at 1100°. Run it up to 1250° continuous and 1300° momentary. You will find a lot more power. People tow without gauges on stock motors more often than not, and at some heavy weights. Cummins isn't a common thing to see melted on the side of the highway.I really disagree with the yellow markings on the ISSPRO gauges. The yellow should be much higher, and much shorter. You can run that motor at 1200° all day long.