• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cold Weather --- Truck howls like banshee

I am new to Dodge diesels. I have a 2000 model and when you start up at below freezing, there is a howl like a banshee coming from under the hood. It changes sound when you either turn the steering wheel or step on the brakes????? Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on??? After 15 minutes driving, it gets to be less of a racket but as long as its below freezing, it continues. Oh, and the temperature guage never shows over about 130 degrees. I have a new 190 degree thermostat to install when it warms up outside. :confused:

Might be low on power steering fluid. Or just crappy fluid that isn't happy with cold weather. Either way it is something with the power steering pump. That thermostat is likely the 130F problem. One in it is probably stuck open.

Sounds to me like your Power Steering/Brake Booster fluid is foaming up and is not flowing well in this cold weather. I suggest you try replacing the fluid with Valvoline sythetic blend power steering fluid. You can use a turkey baster or like I used......a 2 stroke oil mixing syringe the drew out 3 ounces of fluid at a time until I emptied the reservoir. I then filled the reservoir back up, started the engine and turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times and repeated the above procedure until I had nice clean fluid. There may be other better ways to do this but this is how I did it. I am going under the presumption that you have already checked your reservoir and it is at the proper level. I did this about 5 years ago and Valvoline was the best fluid at the time, there may be better fluids to use now. I am sure others will jump in with some suggestions.

• Owner

I would just do a fluid change and flush the system... I normally would disconnect 1 return line and route it to a waste bucket. Then cap the nipple on the pump. Then fill it up full. At this point thing happen rapidily... I would start the engine and rock the steering wheel left to right lightly enough to open the power valve. It will take only a few seconds to pump dry. SHUTDOWN at this point. Load back up with fresh fluid (synthetic if you wish). Then do this again 2 more times pushing all the dirty fluid out. Then once the return look cleaner then hook up the hose as normal and fill and purge the air out of the system. Normally never bother with synthetic fluids because of cost reasons. But the thing is I rarely have issues with power steering system because I change it regularly like I said above. Power Steering fluid should be change once a year or every 30K miles which every comes first... Remember that fluid lubricates the steering box, pump, and Hydro-booster. Also there is NO FILTER in this system so if debris enters the system by part failure or by human means the debris will be pushed through the system.

I find it hard to believe that a rig that new can have powersteering related noise already. If its under warranty I would get it checked if its that loud. Edit I see you posted in the wrong forum this is the 3rd gen 6.7 area. You should fill in your signature in the user control panel so we know what you have. It could be the fan clutch is staying engaged all the time also. that will cause a howl. usually the powersteering is a whine rather than a howl.

Edited by Wild and Free

Noticed your avatar--looks like a chinook.I assume you are now or recent military.If so, you have my respect and admiration.Eon's ago, I served in a CH-46 squadron(HMM-263)Back to your post: I just drained and refilled with synthetic fluid.Most of the squealing went away.

Noticed your avatar--looks like a chinook. I assume you are now or recent military. If so, you have my respect and admiration. Eon's ago, I served in a CH-46 squadron(HMM-263) Back to your post: I just drained and refilled with synthetic fluid. Most of the squealing went away.

I have just put a half a cup of fluid in it to top it off and plan to flush it and refill with Valvolene when it warms up a bit. Yep, that is a Chinook. I thoroughly enjoyed flying those big windmakers.