• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brake pad replacement?

I have a bad pad that's grinding. I'm going to do a full brake job later, but need to buy some time. I want to replace the pads. Any words of wisdom? I guess I need to lube the sleeves that mount the calipers and make sure they're sliding. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DO NOT get ceramic pads! They heat up and won't stop, especially if you've got weight...it's scary

IIRC, I think they are called metallic brake pads. I was told several years ago to never buy anything, but. IIRC, it was something along the lines of allowing the rotors to last alot longer, but the pads would wear a bit quicker. They also have better braking performance and are cheaper. I think the guy compared them to the ceramics and said steer clear of ceramics. So in this case, cheaper is better! Also, take a look at this! http://www.genosgarage.com/GenosGarageTechArticles/TDR51_BrakePadSpottersGuide.pdf http://www.genosgarage.com/GenosGarageTechArticles/TDR50_BrakeUtopia.pdf

• Staff

I'll never use ceramic pads! The cars I work on get the semi-metallic pads. With quality brake pads the rotors will last 2-3 pad changes be for going undersized. With ceramic pad you'll be changing the rotors every pad replacement. Brake manufactures are trying to balance stopping distance,heat dissipation, longevity, dust, and noise.