• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cold Weather challenge

340duster

Here is a challenge to all cummins ram owners. Lets see who can record the lowest temperature on their dash or overhead console computer. Must have picture to prove. The only prize is bragging rights. I will start with mine, it was -38 Celsius (that's -36.4F) on Saturday morning here as I was travelling on highway 43 to Edmonton, Alberta. That's why we need block heaters! Sometimes I wonder why I live here. :banghead:

post-13417-138698211949_thumb.jpg

Wind chill is a mathematical formula that is an attempt to measure "heat loss" on exposed skin. It has been modified over the years………..to take into account humidity in the air etc. If it is X degrees outside, with a Y wind speed: plug it into the formula, and you wind up with Z wind chill factor.That means that at X temperature and Y windspeed, the heat loss will be the same as at Z temperature with no wind on exposed skin.Objects cannot get colder than ambient air temps………………….-30 wind chills do not mean objects are -30 to the touch.

Wind chill is a mathematical formula that is an attempt to measure "heat loss" on exposed skin. It has been modified over the years………..to take into account humidity in the air etc. If it is X degrees outside, with a Y wind speed: plug it into the formula, and you wind up with Z wind chill factor. That means that at X temperature and Y windspeed, the heat loss will be the same as at Z temperature with no wind on exposed skin. Objects cannot get colder than ambient air temps………………….-30 wind chills do not mean objects are -30 to the touch.

Sounds like heat transfer 101! Not to get too crazy on the science part but what I find funny is when they quote the wind chill, but they always forget the radiation effect from the sun, which is why on a given day standing in the sun makes you feel warmer than standing in the shade with the same ambient temperature. That has as much effect as the stinking wind chill measurement. Also if it is cold and windy out I am generally not standing outside naked, but usually have a coat and toque (toboggan for the US people) on my head!

Funny how the weather people revert to measuring the cold in the winter and then measure the heat in the summer. It should be a measure of heat, no matter what.

That is actually what it is! If you had a total lack of heat nothing would move including you!

Shoot, I worked outside all one winter just a few years ago and the only time it got cold was when the temp was below about -10*F. Other than that it was balls to the walls on a pumping station for an oil pipeline. 10 hours was a short day....... Dark when we started at 7AM and dark when we stopped for the night.