• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High Idle Kit Is Here

Yankneck696, I just got my gauge mounted fooler today. It looks great and works great. Are you considering building any units for the 3rd gen trucks? My brother has an 05 and he is very interested if you are going to build any.

I'm getting ready to buy, but I wanted to know 2 things-

1. Can the mpg switch can be selected/ deselected at any time- or is there ever really a need to turn it off?

2. Ed, I would like the overhead version- maybe to fit in/on/under the garage door opener compartment- could we work soemething out?

AP

• Staff

3rd gen works via the cruise control (except real early 03 models) with a dealer flash.

Ed

The cruise control option is different than the automatic option. The automatic (not talking transmission) is enabled on every 3rd and 4th gen truck. It takes coolant below 180, IAT (from MAP) below 66, and ambient below 32( I don't know if it's from the IAT by the turbo, or trucks ambient sensor thou), after 2 minutes it will go to 1000. Still useful for warmup and cool down.

As I mentioned in an earlier post this would work well for most 03's and 10+ manuals as they have no means to increase idle if the ambient temp is above freezing.

Only the very very rare late 03 has the option to use the cruise control fast idle.

Like the 2nd gens with 3cyl a Smarty will enable the cruise control option for 3rd gens.

• Like 1

• Staff

John, if I can figure it out, would you like to beta test?

Ed

I would be more than happy to test it out for you.

I was going to PM you about getting a 6" ECT sensor extension, I want to run my ECT sender at the port by cyl #2 vs #1 I think it's going to be hotter and run the fan better when towing.

Does anyone know if the 3rd gen trucks retard the timing when it is cold out? I think my brother is more interested in a mpg fooler than anything. If the timing isn't changed I can let him know and drop the subject.

I believe they advance it. Cold air needs more timing than warm air for combustion to occur at the same CAD.

Yankneck696, when my truck is warm (180-190 deg) and I change the selector over to the 6cyl high idle my oil pressure gauge increases too? When the truck is cold idling I see 50lbs of oil pressure. When it is warm it is just under 40lbs. When the selector is set to the 6 cyl idle, before the truck starts to idle high the oil pressure gauge increases to about 50. Is this normal??

• Staff

Yankneck696, when my truck is warm (180-190 deg) and I change the selector over to the 6cyl high idle my oil pressure gauge increases too? When the truck is cold idling I see 50lbs of oil pressure. When it is warm it is just under 40lbs. When the selector is set to the 6 cyl idle, before the truck starts to idle high the oil pressure gauge increases to about 50. Is this normal??

Perfectly normal, your oil pressure gauge is fake. It's run by the ECM in an algorithm of what it should be. Diesel engines have large pressure swings for small rpm changes and dodge got tired of warranty claims for normal operation and took the sender out of the picture.

3rd gen and newer trucks don't even have an oil psi sender, just a 6psi switch. What's funny is the owners manual still tells you to watch for proper oil pressure, even thou it could be 8psi (below the min requirement for idle) the gauge will still show ~40.

I have a real pressure gauge, the only time my OEM cluster is correct is 1300 rpms with a warm engine.

Perfectly normal, your oil pressure gauge is fake. It's run by the ECM in an algorithm of what it should be. Diesel engines have large pressure swings for small rpm changes and dodge got tired of warranty claims for normal operation and took the sender out of the picture.

3rd gen and newer trucks don't even have an oil psi sender, just a 6psi switch. What's funny is the owners manual still tells you to watch for proper oil pressure, even thou it could be 8psi (below the min requirement for idle) the gauge will still show ~40.

I have a real pressure gauge, the only time my OEM cluster is correct is 1300 rpms with a warm engine.

Wow! I had no idea! :doh:  Learn something new every day Thanks!  :thumb1: