• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quick P0336 Question...

I cranked up the truck this morning, and let it warm up a little, got back in the truck and the CEL was on and the tach was dead. P0336 was the code, so I was wondering if the sensor is only for the tach, or does it have another purpose? I think the Camshaft position sensor on the '01-'02's can leave you stranded, but I'm not sure if a crank sensor could? I searched for 20 minutes and couldn't find an answer.

Also, the truck would stumble for a second and then the tach would come back, then a minute later it would stumble and the tach would die. After a while the tach was fine, and the CEL was staying on. I tried erasing the codes, but it wouldn't let me. After an afternoon of hauling some crap around, the CEL went away. I just don't want to be worrying about it while I'm an hour away from home with a load of cattle.

On my 01 the camshaft sensor went bad other then a little stumble the main thing was the tach quit. Mine was acting up when cold [below 30]. this went on for 3 months finally got tired of it and change the csp sensors. the sensors is  like 60.00 took about an 11/2 to changed. It never left me stranded and once warmed up there was no more cel, till the next time started below 30.

• Like 1

Agree my 01 has cam sensor, it is what I replaced when I had trouble. It is under the VP just above the vac pump on the back side of the gear cover. M fingers where to fat to fit, so I dropped the vac pump to access, not to hard to do.

• Owner

Not sure. Thinking outside the box. I would have to say the CEL light is tripped and the instrument cluster was told the tach signal is faulty with the P0336 code and so the cluster is no longer reading the tach till the P0336 code is clear or dealt with. Remember the instrument panel has its own software like the ScanGauge II but also has its own rules it has to listen to as well so in the cause I would has to take a educated guess at the software holding the tach off.

• Like 1

That could be it...

Also, on Saturday, I backed up to the trailer and was hooking everything up, the truck had been running for about 5 minutes, and the tach was dead. A minute later I hear a mild lope, and the tach comes back to life, and then by itself, it revs a couple hundred RPM for a second, and then drops back down to normal. :duh:  All the gauges looked fine, no smoke of any color, and the truck runs fine, just the CEL is on and the P0336 code. (The scan gauge shows 3 codes: P0121, which has been there for a long time, and then P0336. It won't show the 3rd code for some reason, but I'm thinking it's just P1693. It won't let me erase the codes either)

But after that, the tach works fine, and the truck runs like a scalded dog for 2 hrs, dragging a trailer 100 miles...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...