• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hauling Truck Camper On A Srw 3/4 Ton

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I like the  forged Rims made by Alcoa that Ford put on their trucks from 95 thru 97. They are rated at #3750 and the Dodge center caps will fit on them too. Used to be able to find a set on Craigslist for around $200 but, word spread about how good they are and are getting harder to find.

I know 19 1/2'' are the way to go but expensive when buying wheels and the tires too. I like the old Alcoas. They are a very well built rim with a thick clear coating on them. You do have to watch for the yellowing around where the wheel weights were put on. Somehow the lead weights react with the coating over time. Best to have the wheel shop put on the stick on weights inside the rim instead.

MnTom, sorry about picking Datsun for being the lightweight truck... I used to delivere them from an auction yard to dealers. They always lasted a long time. I still feel the same as always  till I look in the mirror and see my age :)

Edited by JAG1

Had a buddy with similar truck (ford). He had a blowout with his camper on and it tore the hell out if his rear bed panel. Lucky he got it to the side of the road without issue. He was towing a small enclosed trailer with a quad in it. Good thing is that it was considered a comprehensive claim.

Years back, I knew several guys that used to haul horses and livestock with 3/4 ton SRW pickups.  Their trailers were big double axle and triple axle stock trailers.  At least one of them had the trailer (loaded) push a rear tire off the rim (bead) when doing a tight turn on a slight down grade.  The trailer wants to keep going straight, and in these instances, the rear end of the truck had too much traction and popped the tire off the rim.

The truck/axle/frame can handle the weight…………..the limiting factor is the tires………….and to a lesser extent, the rims.

• Like 2