• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nv4500 Hard To Get Into Gear

Starting last week I have been having issues getting my truck to go into gear starting from a dead stop. I try to put it into gear and it feels like I am hitting a brick wall. After a few tries it usually goes but it takes some force. I also have noticed that the drive shaft jumps when I am putting it into gear. I have no idea what problem I am dealing with, does anybody have a clue? My only guess right now is that the clutch is not fully disengaging, possibly clutch master of slave cylinder issues? any help would be appreciated.

Starting last week I have been having issues getting my truck to go into gear starting from a dead stop. I try to put it into gear and it feels like I am hitting a brick wall. After a few tries it usually goes but it takes some force. I also have noticed that the drive shaft jumps when I am putting it into gear. I have no idea what problem I am dealing with, does anybody have a clue? My only guess right now is that the clutch is not fully disengaging, possibly clutch master of slave cylinder issues? any help would be appreciated.

All gears, or just 1st or 2nd?

1st and 2nd and rev are the worst but all are tough

Not sure if we have the same symptoms or not, but mine will not go all the way into those gears when I'm stopped. It just goes in a little then stops. If I let the clutch out really slow it slips right in. Are these the same symptoms?

• Owner

Input shaft is still turning and you using the syncros to attempt to stop the input shaft. This why you having a hard time getting into gear. You might want to look at either the throwout bearing (wore enough that the clutch is dragging) or pilot bearing (wore enough dragging the input shaft).

I had the rare one where the springs on the friction disc broke open on me.

I have come to the conclusion that this is the problem I have been experiencing with my NV5600. As soon as I get some money I am planning on replacing the clutch and all the goodies that go with that. I already did the hydro's and they helped a little bit but the problem still is there. Most days I cant shift without double clutching or waiting at least 2-3 seconds in between pulling out of a gear and going into the next gear. I also have the same problem at a stop. Just doesnt want to go in most of the time.

Not sure if we have the same symptoms or not, but mine will not go all the way into those gears when I'm stopped. It just goes in a little then stops. If I let the clutch out really slow it slips right in. Are these the same symptoms?

No for me it makes no difference letting the clutch out. its almost like im not pushing the clutch in at all in the first place.

Input shaft is still turning and you using the syncros to attempt to stop the input shaft. This why you having a hard time getting into gear. You might want to look at either the throwout bearing (wore enough that the clutch is dragging) or pilot bearing (wore enough dragging the input shaft).

I had the rare one where the springs on the friction disc broke open on me.

so i spose the only way to diagnose which one is causing the problem is to lower the tranny? :cry:

Both of those problems are internal to the clutch area and removal is necessary. If the hydros are bad it is not. Yours does not  sound like that is the problem. If the hydros were bad you would feel the clutch act like it is engaging on its own while your foot has it to the floor. Have you checked your fluid level? If it is low enough you could have gotten enough air in the line to cause a similar problem. 

shut off the engine,  and  if it  slips  right into  gear... well,  there ya go.  

Mike is right,   input is  still  turning.      Now  you have to see why.       Sprung hub,   friction  material  balled up,   warped  disk,   bad  master/slave,  wore out   release bearing and/or  fork  (my fork  was  shot  a couple years ago... same symptoms  as you).