• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Table Saws And The Dangers (Or Safety Nets)

Mopar1973Man

That's  faith  in your product!      I've seen the  hot dog  thing  a few years ago,  but never  a  real  finger.

I wonder if  something needs  to  be   on the  table,  such as  your  free hand  in order to  'complete' the circuit?     His  palm  was  down on it.  but  when  ripping  a  piece,        I usually  have  both hands  on top of the wood...  which is  insulated  from the table..  

Cross cutting,   usually  have a hand  on the   miter guide.

I managed to amputate part of my left thumb on a table saw. In the ER all they did was use novocain to numb it (that hurt worse that cutting it) clean the end up (it still had about a half inch of skin holding it) and flop it back on and put nine stiches in it. Yea, one of those would have saved my thumb...... That was about 12 years ago and it still has feeling problems (I have a hard time picking things up with it) and it gets cold real quick.

I managed to amputate part of my left thumb on a table saw. In the ER all they did was use novocain to numb it (that hurt worse that cutting it) clean the end up (it still had about a half inch of skin holding it) and flop it back on and put nine stiches in it. Yea, one of those would have saved my thumb...... That was about 12 years ago and it still has feeling problems (I have a hard time picking things up with it) and it gets cold real quick.

I tried to do that with an electric miter box many years back. Didn't cut it off, just mitered the finger nail. One side of the nail had a beautiful 45 and the other like like hamburger meat with a smattering of blood. That one hurt like Hades. 

I have seen the table saw thing before and it does work. But I don't want to stick MY finger in there on purpose to test it.

I did a pretty good job on a finger (yeah, that finger) with a manual propeller shaft puller. 

Screw the shaft puller on where the propeller comes off.  Shaft was 8 feet long & one stands over it & throws the weight down the shaft as hard as possible.  The weight...  about 10#...  was larger than the stop so theoretically it should be impossible to get your fingers in the works.  Notice I said "theoretically".  The purpose of this tool is to get the damaged propeller shaft out of the press fit (when new) coupling on the back of the transmission.  Picture a GIANT dent puller...   

I never felt any pain but the doctors said I was in shock by the time we drove to the ER just across the highway from our Marina.  My brother looked as bad as I did on arrival & the docs were not sure which of us was the patient.  Stupid ER nurse...  told her what I did, that it was crushed/broke.  Nope, had to xray.  Xray comes back...  it's broke.  Duhh!   ER doc suggests amputating the mangled mess.  They can't reach the orthopedic Doc.  My mother goes outside & gets the Orthopedic Doc who lives next door...  could not hear his pager with his lawn mower running. 

The Ortho took a chunk of meat from my inner arm to graft on, bandaged up for 3 weeks.  What took, took & the rest was gone.  Actually it was still on the puller in the shop.  No one else would go near it.  Unwrapping the gauze was interesting with hydrogen peroxide & tweasers...   I miss those days!!  Working outside with my bro... 

A couple years ago my local high school purchased a table saw like that. Some of the more "intelligent" students liked to try it out on a regular basis because they were tough. The school got tired of buying the replacement stops and blades for the saw because so many people were sticking there fingers and hot dogs and everything else into it because it was so cool. They eventually sold the saw because the dumb kids wasted so many blades on it. Stupid kids.

I have trouble holding on to things in that hand but not because of the missing length.  Before the MS claimed the dexterity it was interesting trying to feel a nut or something.  I knew it was there but really could not feel it. 

That is the way nerve damage is. My left thumb is the same way.

I never lost any of the digit, Just a little meat and the fingernail grew back funny. When ever I changed the bandage I used chase my kids(3 and 5 at the time)pointing that finger at them. They run away screaming bloody murder. If they had only known that all they had to do was touch that finger and i would have been laying in the floor in pain. Slightest tap on that thing and the pain was excruciating.

I almost took the tip of my index finger off about 15 years ago while folding a 4" schrade lock blade knife up not paying attention, cut half way through the end joint by the tip, was too stubborn to go to the doctor but it did heal itself after a month but I didn't get full feeling back into the tip for a couple of years later, I have touch feeling but it has since been insensitive to heat and cold.