• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rpm Range, And Rear End Gears

Hey guys, I am just curious what's a safe RPM rage to drive these trucks on the freeway? I have a 4:10 ratio which I really want to change to 3:55 which brings me to another question anybody know where to get a good set of 3:55 gears? Regarding the RPM's I don't let it get passed 2 RPM's which with my ratio is 60 to 65 mph. So since I 'm new to the Diesel world what would be a safe operating RPM rage for these trucks? Just want to know what everyone thinks.

2k rpm is a good cruising rpm. You are not going to hurt going higher. When I tow I regularly take it to 2400 2500 before shifting. I dont get any benefit going any higher even pulling long grades. Empty it just depends on how quick I want to get up to speed or how much of the 18 year old  have in me that moment. Now i have a 6 speed with 3:54 gears and dont have to deal with the 4:10's like you. If I had them I would be seeing higher rpm on the long road trips I make. There is no way I could make a 600 mile trip home for the weekend at 60 mph. I am very glad I dont have them. 

Your mileage is going to suffer, but you are not going hurt it. Your best bet on on the gears would be to find a 3:54 rear end and just swap the whole thing. If you are 4X4 you have to swap both. I am sure others more knowledgeable than I will have plenty to add.  

• Owner

Thing is the most torque is typically produced around 1,900 to 2,100 RPM's This is where the efficiency is the highest for towing. For empty running your best be down lower between 1,500 - 1,700 RPM's...

With that being said there is little benefit to going above this range. You can run the engine against the governor all day long and not hurt it. (In theory - I personally don't suggest it!)  But now the efficiency is going to really low.

• Like 1

Your engine is designed to run up against the governor all day long. In other words you can run 3000 RPM and not hurt the engine, but your fuel mileage would really suck. Keeping it under 2000 RPMs yeilds the best mileage.

Yea. Speaking of EGT's this is going to be an obviouse tell of me being new to the Diesel world but what are EGT's? lol see told you I was new lol.

You have to start somewhere! This site is one of the best on the net for beginners and experienced diesel owners. 

To answer your question, EGT stands for Exhaust Gas Temperature. Running too hot of EGT's for extended periods of time will melt the pistons off.

• Owner

Aluminium melts at 1,220*F (660*C). There is cooled oil sprayed at the pistons from underneath.

So extended 1,200*F is safe all day long. But you'll notice the coolant temps will be elevated still normal but higher than typical.

1,000-1,100*F you will see less increase in coolant temperatures typically float about 193-197*F.

Optimal for 20+ MPGs you want to get below 600*F and 5 PSI of boost.

• Owner

Lets say I've crossed 1,400 a few times on fire calls and passing vehicles on the highway. But its only for max of about 10 seconds. 1,200 is safe to run. It just once past that no one knows how long any thing will last. One pyrometer gauge might be + few degrees and the other might be - a few degrees so who is to say what is safe? Like I said pistons are aluminum and they are cooled by engine oil so how long... Don't know. But as long as your below aluminum melt point you should be safe.

I typically float 550-600*F at 55-60 MPH at about 2-3 PSI of boost. Typically can reach the 20's for MPG's...