• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Any Suggestions On An Aftermarket Fuel Filter

I am looking to replace my stock fuel filter on my 98 dodge it developed a leak around the heater pigtail harness grommet and I am getting not much help from local dealer one mechanic told me to drill it out and plug it not sure if that's wise any guidance would be appreciated am leaning more towards aftermarket I am thinking suggestions please

I think there are some aftermarket companies that actually make a replacement base that will mount in the same place the stock one did, but it will use a common spin on fuel filter vs using the canister style like the OE filter. I dont remember off the top of my head which companies offer it but I will look around a bit..

Do you have an aftermarket lift pump with filters? If you do you can just ditch the original. Can you get pictures of where exactly it is leaking? Maybe a new seal? maybe a new heater element?  BTW you should fill out your signature. It will help everyone here help you!

GDP has a lot of filter setups.  Looking at getting one for my friends '06.  Heard only good things about them.  http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=08-001

how  are  those  'heated'  filters  wired?...   Do  they have  thermostat control, (wired to keyed   12 v, )  or   would they need to be  controlled..? .

Kinda  pricey,  but   standing  on  the  edge of the road isn't  a picnic either!

I dug around a little,  and found  this:

isb_components.jpg

#4  and  #21  is   the   heater sensor and  heater terminal.    Those   Glacier  filters  use  this harness to  connect their  filter to... Silly me,   I didn't   realize   they  already had a heater!

My  2000   doesn't  exactly look like this though..   It  has  a  spin off  top such as  this,  but  has  a  boss for  putting a 1/2  extension  to remove the top..  and  the  wif sensor wire is  towards the  bottom of the  canister.

Edited by rancherman

how  are  those  'heated'  filters  wired?...   Do  they have  thermostat control, (wired to keyed   12 v, )  or   would they need to be  controlled..? .

Kinda  pricey,  but   standing  on  the  edge of the road isn't  a picnic either!

I am not quite sure on how they do it.  The one we were looking at doesn't have a heater and installs between the factory canister and CP3.  You have me curious now I will have to take another look.

Like mopartechnician said, Geno's garage has the kit you need. I believe they call it the 97-99 fuel filter kit. I had the same exact issue on my '99 and got that kit. Simple install and the spin on filter is nice to have. If you go that route, you will need I crimp the WIF sensor wires. No big deal there. I actually got some 2-pin waterproof connectors to make life easier when changing the fuel filter. One thing to note, what that kit, you will lose your fuel eater element as there isn't one on there. I'm on the coast in SC so it wasn't a problem for me.

They also make a little part that just goes in place on the heater element on the stock housing which is obviously cheaper. I went with the spin on filter kit since it is more convenient.