• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

"Water in fuel" warning light

Was driving home the other day and got a "Water in fuel" warning light on the dash. Now I have the "latest greatest" AirDog 165 and filters so should not have a water issue.

Have been draining the fuel drain on the AirDog every couple of months and getting a few drops of water, but never more than a half of a teaspoon, so am hoping that the "water in fuel" warning light is in error.

Anyone have this issue and where should I go from here?

Thx,

FT

PS did a search for this and got millions of hits, mostly for fuel and not water in fuel...

Could just be some condensation in the stock housing if you arent running through it anymore. If you are still running through the stock housing, just crack the drain valve on the stock filter canister open until you see good fuel coming out the drain tube underneath. You might bump the starter a couple times then it should start right back up.

Is the stock housing still plumbed in & sensor connected?  I did leave it in at the expense of extra filter & hardware, but most bypass it.  If the wires are disconnected, they can read resistance across dirt & moisture.

• Like 1

Thanks all and I ran the Vulcan big line kit to the stock housing and then back out and to the VP-44, so yes its still inline with the fuel. Sensor should still be connected.

Will check the housing drain for moisture tomorrow, had forgotten about that.

Thx, FT

The Airdog on at least 1 occasion has allowed enough water through to leave a good coating of rust on a VP44.

The filters are not rated for the supposed pressure/flow that is advertised. Leave the stocker (Or a seperate unit with WIF sensor) in place.

Ed

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

While on the subject of water and filters, I am running an AirDog ll-165 on the truck. What is everyone using for a replacement filter on this? Buying them from AD or ??  And how often do you guys change them? 

Thx, FT

Great, thanks much! 

Now I know that the big filter on the AD is the main fuel filter but is the one with the petcock (the water separator) also a removeable screw-on filter? 

If so did not realize that and thought that you just replaced an element inside like the stock one on the engine. Just got the AD recently and have not changed out the filters yet. 

Appreciate the help!

FT