• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quieter 2nd Gen.

The only way to quiet the VP trucks to the level of a CR is by turning the key off. What you are hearing is the sudden rise of cylinder pressure due to the injector putting fuel into the cylinder. The CR trucks have 'multi-shot' injections to make the cylinder pressure rise more gradually. As far as timing on a VP pumped (along with the P-pumped and VE pumped) engine the more retarded the timing is the more subdued the sound is and the more advanced it is the more harsh the sound is.

• Like 1

I have a bosch book and it showed a graph of the pressure spike of injection and VP trucks are the most rapid of all.  It explained that the rapid pressure rise and the resulting injection of a ton of fuel made the thing knock very loud.  The P-pump trucks have a slower pressure rise and the CR trucks use a preinjection to soften it.  If the CR didn't use a pre injection, they would be worse than the VP.  

There is no real solution since it is just the nature of design.  Now that I think about it, 2 stroke oil probably lowers the cetane a little and gives the injection a smoother ignition since lower cetane doesn't ignite as quick or violently.  High RPM diesels (like in some diesel race cars), use very high cetane because it needs to burn more like gasoline, rather than slowly burn like regular diesel.  

My theory anyways.