• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dexter EZ-Flex Installed

• Staff

I have been wanting to upgrade the bolts/bushings on my TT from the OEM dry bolts and nylon bushings to wet bolts and bronze bushings.

I found that the complete kit from Dexter was the best way to go, not only do I get the wet bolts and bronze bushings, but I get their EZ-Flex equalizer which will absorb more impact shock than the springs alone.

I got the kit a couple months ago, and just got around to installing it last week. The parts are excellent quality, and based on the condition of the OEM nylon bushings I was due. I have approx 7K miles on my TT, many of those on rough dirt roads, and about 1/3 of the OEM bushings wouldn't have made it another season without wearing completely thru. A couple of them where already worn thru in a spot or two.

Here you can see the difference in the equalizer, and a slight dimension difference. According to other folks on the interwebs the slight difference will drop the trailer height about 3/8", but I didn't notice any change.

fbd957f2a7ee01a3ccc563836e644e67.jpg

47ab40721196fc2a49e6e62e731f870c.jpg

The shackles are aslo MUCH larger and stronger, which is good as the OE shackle holes where no longer round.

764d61b33909277a2f0a220d7dd6088b.jpg

And finally the installed product.

880bb2f5a7a04ca6684490304da4a191.jpg

I have about 130 miles on the trailer with the kit, of which 65 are on a rough dirt road, and it made a noticeable improvement in the ride and shock transferred to the truck.

At the same time I installed the Centramatic wheel balancers that have been in the garage since December.

All in all I am very happy with the mod, and highly suggest the kit to anyone who needs to service their trailer suspension.

• Like 1

• Staff

Each of the 2 springs eye's has a bushing, as does the shackle attachment point on both sides of the equalizer. The only place there isn't a bushing and wet bolt is the center pin bolt, as with this setup the rotation around this bolt is not on the bolt but around a sleeve that is kept from moving with the bolt.

I think that answered your question, if not I am not sure I understand what you mean.

• Staff

Cost is a big one, ride height is another, and ride as well I would presume since a Torsion needs a minimum of 30% of it's weight on it to have any spring action.

Some TT's have torsion, like the Lance campers IIRC and some BIG 5ers have the mor/ryde setups.

A lot of people like the idea behind the torsion axles that you just literally mount the axle tube to the frame of the trailer. No messing around with springs or shackles or bushings or anything. The torsions do ride smoother than the traditional tandem leaf style set up. You can find torsion axles on a lot of upper end single car trailers and that type of thing. They like the smoother ride for their toys in the trailer. The downside is whenever that torsion axle does wear out (15-25 years) you replace the whole axle. That can get very spendy.

Torsions are also getting very popular with agriculture equipment. The ease of just mounting the tube and going has really caught on in the AG world. Less down time for maintenance. Dexter can make a torsion axle for any and all applications now. You can special order any width, weight rating, and hub configuration. Makes it really nice for custom applications. 

• Staff

Torsions only ride better at the upper end of the weight scale, if you are below 1/3 they don't hardly have any usable suspension and aren't really better until above 2/3 capacity.

Torsions are also very picky about being level for brake distribution, where tandem springs are less picky.

Torsions are also very picky about being level for brake distribution, where tandem springs are less picky.

And for tire wear.  If'n you have dual torsions, you still need a level ride height for proper weight distribution.

Dual torsion axles aren't as good going over dips and bumps either

Funny you posted this, I was just looking at them online the other night. I'm about to redeck my tilt trailer as many of the boards are cracked and gouged from winching stuff up on it not to mention they are getting pretty weathered. Was looking at the bushings in the equalizers and they are due. Going to install a set of grease buddies while I'm at it.

2 years ago I purchased my first NEW  gooseneck  stock trailer.    2  7000#   torsions  hold it up.    I can  say  when  empty,   there is no  movement!   in fact  I had  a  flat tire 2 days ago,  and didn't even need  a  jack,  just  a   2X6  to  drive  over with the  good  tire.   Trailer  just goes  'boing' boing..    I  can't  imagine   that would be very nice  on  the  innerds of  a  nice  TT !    'course,  I'm  about 4500#  empty,   probably  a lot  lighter than a loaded TT?

Oh,  the  boxes  of  parts  I've replaced  on  my  sprung  trailers  over the years,  Springs,   shackles,  mid  links!      Oh,  then  we  learned  how to set up  hitch heights...  which helped  on   longevity of  these parts.  ( annual greasing  doesn't hurt either!  :ashamed: )

Edited by rancherman

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

I drug the TT across town today without the WDH and the EZ-Flex made a HUGE change in the way the trailer tows without WDH. I would say there was a bigger change without the WDH than with, an it was a big change with.

I have a few hundred more miles on it and it's still a surprising improvement. The wife even noticed from the passenger seat.

• Like 1