• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lost 4-5 mpg overnight

Gents,Have been slowly upgrading my 2500 Cummins and getting it the way it should be. With everyone's assistance it now has a full set of gauges and a Raptor LP and drawstraw. Using a Edge/Attitude but its pretty much there just for the gauges. The wire to the VP44 is not even hooked up so running at level 1. Had the truck for a year or so and know it pretty well. Was getting 23-24 mpg on the overhead gauge in town, and 26-27 on the highway. No towing, running 60-65 or so, usually not faster. Did some work over in SoCal recently so filled up on the Arizona side of the border ($2.72!) and headed home. Did 670 miles before filling up again and it took 27 gallons. Overhead display showed 23.5 mixed city and highway driving. Actual MPG reading using a calculator was better, showing 24.5 or so. Was very happy with that. This is the mileage I have gotten for the last year I have had the truck.Took the truck to get an oil change at a place I have used for years a month ago. Very good guys. Changed the oil and rotated the tires, nothing else done to the truck. Mileage has now dropped overnight to 22.5 for either highway or city driving. Checked the two month old air filter and it looks great, and the "bypass" gauge on the filter housing confirms that. Air pressure in the tires is fine, running 14-17 psi fuel pressure. All other readings appear to be exactly the same as before. Fuel filter is 3 months old at most.Anyone have any suggestions on what this could be? Just took the truck back to the shop and they found nothing. Front tire pressure was a bit low but thats it.Looking everything over closely the rear brakes were pretty far gone so now have new pads in there but that does not appear to have caused anything with the fuel mileage. Cannot figure out anything else unless my VP44 is giving up the ghost but do not feel that something like this would happen overnight like this. Thx,Joe (FT)

Are you saying you lost 4-5 mpg's off the overhead? The overhead is very inaccurate. Mine has fluctuated all the way upto 99 mpg's. Stay with hand calculations or get a ScanGaugeII for mpg accuracy. You can check for codes as well. Key on, off, on, off, on (not starting it). Look at the odometer, write down any codes such as P...., Wait for it to say "done" twice. Repost the codes. Good Luck.

Thanks for the ideas.I have a scan-gauge on the truck (should be listed in my signature) and its telling me the same thing that the overhead does. Am not showing any codes at this time, and never had any pop up. That said, my overhead has been accurate. Only owned the truck for a year now but its been dead nuts on, if not just a bit low on the actual mileage. Every time I have checked it the overhead has been correct.Thx,Joe

How cold has it been by you??? My winter mileage drops every year due to winter blended fuel and cold weather. The cold weather (below freezing and down to below 0) require more fuel to warm up, more fuel to pump that cold oil around the engine, more fuel to overcome the thick oil in the diffs and tranny and transfer case. Cold air is also denser which requires more energy to push through.You could've gotten a bad tank of fuel or fuel with a higher than normal bio % in it. That's if bio is sold around your parts.