• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel gauge issues

I just bought a 2002 dodge 2500 cummins quad cab. The fuel gauge was not working. It was stuck below E with fuel light on. Took it to local shop and they said need new sender. Looked on here and found the correct part number. Thank you. Shop installed and gauge still not working. Shop tested wires and said they are sending signal all the way to the PCM. After that they don't know. I looked on here how to test cluster with the trip button. The gauge moved as it should. I brought truck home and need to know where to look next. Thank you.

Did the shop get the module back in correctly? If they didn't then the arm could be hitting the side of the tank. Did they drop the tank or lift the box?

If they let the fuel basket turn when they tightened the locking collar, it could be hitting the side of the tank as MnTom said. It is very easy for the basket to turn when it is re installed. I might be a little suspect if it was working before the tank was installed and now is not. If they wont pull and check you might have to do it yourself and see how it is indexed.

• Like 1

You might want to check the body control module. It's located under the kick panel at your knees when sitting in the truck. Where your right knee would be. I would remove it and leave it unplugged for a while. This might reset the cluster receiver from the tank. 

• Like 1

Don't try and drive with it out it because it controls several things in the truck. Do you have steering wheel radio controls? The BCM controls things like the radio controls, seat belts, mirrors and cruise control. I would unplug it and leave it out for approximately 20min cycle the key switch a few times then put it back together. Not real sure it will fix your issue but it may.

Personally, I would lift the box to access the tank. Remove all the bolts except the rear most bolts (15mm socket) and three screws behind the fuel filler door. Then BLOCK the box up so it won't fall on you. Now you have access to the module. Unscrew the large plastic nut holding the module in. You can then move the float and watch the fuel gauge to see if it works. Then you install it making sure the float clears the side of the tank.

• Staff

Jag has a write up on making an access door through the bed. That's on my mod list. Once done there is no more lifting bed or dropping the tank.

Need to do a write up on this along with a material and bolts list.

A volt meter set to OHMS, must have batteries disconnected, will show the sender is working when you move it up and down.

Edited by JAG1