• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A stark realization...

hex0rz

So, a couple days ago, me and the wife were at work. Actually we were on break at this point. The break area seemed unusually darker than normal for the time of day and year. We were going to receive a nasty storm that was blowing through the inland northwest.

Lightning, wind, rain, etc. Wind gusts of up to 60-70mph is what I heard. Power got knocked out at work for a few seconds. What transpired outside the building was more than what many expected.

Finally, after getting off of work, we make way home and we noticed the abnormally large amount of brush/vegetation in the road. But, when we entered the town we reside, once we passed through the last traffic light in town, it was dark. I suddenly realized how different things were when there is not a single light on anywhere, lol.

We get home and we are running 3/4 full on battery level and the fridge is on LP. Power was knocked out since 6pm that day. With the abnormally long time it usually takes to get power back on, we decided that we would rather not risk it and we were going to gather up all the gas cans we could to run the generator when needed.

So we run back into town to the nearest fuel station that had power and proceeded to fill the cans up. Get back home and grudgingly realized how difficult it was going to be to fill the tanks for the generator. I had about 25 gallons to dispense into the tank at 5 gallon increments. Slowly, I make the first 5 disappear into the tank. Suddenly, the power came back on.

....oh, the irony. :duh:

Then I started thinking more. The trailer has 2 tanks. 1 for the generator and the other for recreational use filling up dirt bikes, etc. It has a pump and nozzle and draws from the 2nd tank. Well, being who I'am the only time this thing would ever get used is to fill the generator tank.

Now, here is what I would like to do. Tell me if its worth doing or not. I could probably go one of two ways here:

1: Buy a fuel funnel that is large enough to handle a gas can and can feed into the tank.

2: Cut the suction line from the tank to the pump and install a 3-way tee. Install suction hose to it and use the valve to draw from either the tank or a fuel can.

I like both ideas and will be getting the fuel funnel for not only this situation, but even other instances as well..

But the more think of it, I do like the idea of being able to deploy a section of hose and turn the valve on the tee and have the pump suck from a can instead of getting gas on myself. Seems like no matter how new a dang fuel can is, these safety cans seem to leak!

If I were to construct it in this manner, I could suck from a can and use the nozzle to fill the tank. then I could fill the other tank with the nozzle from the tank. Just seems like a nice, clean, convenient way of transferring the fuel without walking away smelling like gas.

Whats your guys' thoughts?

• Owner

Well I've got two 55 gallon drum on the property filled with both gasoline and diesel fuel. Use a barrel pump and pump out the needed amount of fuel for generators, ATV, vehicles, etc. I've found that as long as your drums have sealing lids the fuel will last a very long time.

So now back to your RV. Both tanks are vented so if you would to fill the tank and leave the fuel for a very long time then the fuel would most likely go bad. Like here I've got a 6,500w gasoline generator which holds about 3 gallons of fuel. I "try" to make a habit of running the generator once or twice a month. This allows the engine to get exercised and slowly consume a bit of fuel to allow the fuel tank to be freshen often.

When I'm done running the generator I turn off the fuel leave the ignition alone. Wait.... Wait... Soon enough the carburetor runs out of fuel and the generator is ready for storage.

So in your case I would consider the aux suction more so to hopefully keep from worrying about stale fuel in the generator tank or the storage tank. Like I said if the fuel is stored in a air tight container it will last a very long time but vented tank you have to consume the fuel at some point because the fuel will go bad. So reconsider your storage of your fuel.

I'm SOL for both ideas at moment. Amazing how there doesn't seem to be much out there anymore. Go to an auto parts store and your lucky to find much of anything you really need!

The auto place had a large funnel, but no hoses large enough for the funnel end. Lady said I might use a radiator hose, but I'm not sure if that could handle fuel.

Local hardware store did not have anything either, unless I mickey moused it together and spend over $100 doing it, to boot! I'm probably going to have to buy the fitting online to get what I need...

• Staff

I like stark realizations too as I like American know- how.

I am going to figure a faster more sanitary way of doing the rv dump. Using a smaller hose and macerator type pump. I want to have the hose permanently hooked up with my own hose rinser to rinse the hose and pump at the flip of a switch. hose will go into its own compartment where compartment and hose gets rinsed again with a drain at bottom.

It would be kind of nice to have a permanently attached drain hose but I think you would still run into the same issues of sanitation as you would normally. You still have to pull the hose out to drain the tanks, then you still have to put it back into the compartment. I don't really see all that much benefit in changing the set up, IMHO.

• Owner

With all the changes it still doesn't do anything for long term storage of gasoline. As long as its stored in a vented tank then the fuel is going to go stale in a period of time. But air-tight container like my 55 gallon drum it will hold for a very very long time. Yes my bungs are o-ringed even and hold pressure or vacuum quite well.