• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

u-joints?

Starting to get a bad vibration in the seat and the floor that is really noticeable around 55-60 mph. Just had all 6 tires road force balanced yesterday and that didn't help. Which my buddy told me it wouldn't help. Hes saying ujoints. I tried moving the shaft around to see if I could see any slop anywhere but couldn't. Just did a complete brake job also. Could the drums be out of balance? How hard is it to change ujoints? Do you need special tools and presses? Carrier bearing bad? Shaft out of balance? Don't know where to start. Don't really want to start throwing money at it. Any way to tying to help pin point it

Posted · Hidden by Mopar1973Man, August 29, 2014 - triple post...
Hidden by Mopar1973Man, August 29, 2014 - triple post...

Starting to get a bad vibration in the seat and the floor that is really noticeable around 55-60 mph. Just had all 6 tires road force balanced yesterday and that didn't help. Which my buddy told me it wouldn't help. Hes saying ujoints. I tried moving the shaft around to see if I could see any slop anywhere but couldn't. Just did a complete brake job also. Could the drums be out of balance? How hard is it to change ujoints? Do you need special tools and presses? Carrier bearing bad? Shaft out of balance? Don't know where to start. Don't really want to start throwing money at it. Any way to tying to help pin point it

Posted · Hidden by Mopar1973Man, August 29, 2014 - triple post...
Hidden by Mopar1973Man, August 29, 2014 - triple post...

when you replace it, take it where they have a heavy duty press as mine almost stalled a 12T press when taking the bearing off. they almost cut it off.  i have a write up on how to replace it all in the article section.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/28-transmission-systems/244-driveshaft-center-carrier-bearing

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR

you do the brakes?    

ummm,   check your   driveshaft for  dents.  fresh gouges,    missing   weights... etc.  

reason I ask:    sometimes  overzealous  guys  get a little   sloppy  aligning  the  lift  under the  vehicle... and     hook/snare the prop shaft..   

If  it's vibrating  THAT bad  due to  ujoint.... you should  be able to hear it   clunk snap... going  from  D to R

In your best   guess.... what's  the frequency of  the vibration?    chainsaw type  buzz... or   more  like  a  flat spot  on a tire?   Tires  @   60mph  are   running  about  450-500  rpm..  so it'd be  about  8  thumps per second.. 

Edited by rancherman

you do the brakes?    

ummm,   check your   driveshaft for  dents.  fresh gouges,    missing   weights... etc.  

reason I ask:    sometimes  overzealous  guys  get a little   sloppy  aligning  the  lift  under the  vehicle... and     hook/snare the prop shaft..   

If  it's vibrating  THAT bad  due to  ujoint.... you should  be able to hear it   clunk snap... going  from  D to R

when mine went out, it actually walked its way out of the housing and i was feeling a hard bang when i went on or off throttle. hopped under and it was seized. limped it home and fixed it next day.

Pull driveshafts and rotate all the u-joints. Shouldnt have any grinding or catching. Like said check for any spots where a weight fell off.

If you do have u-joints I use a bfh and a vise for beating. I cant use a press because it takes too long

I've  'graduated'  up to  torching out the old cross!    cut  the ol  girl  across the  'cross'..  and    viola!    tap tap..  home free.   

• Like 2

i use a socket the size of the u-joint cap and one big enough for the cap to go into. then into the vise it goes. easy to press them in and out. if they still have the factory plastic then take a torch n heat em till it melts then they press out easy. the new ones will have c clips.