• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

When it Rains it Pours

It started out with a leaking water pump then a belt then a alt. then a heater core then and fan motor. :cry: 
Take it from me, when you buy a water pump get it from Cummins. The parts store suc. When they sell you one for 59.00 at Oreillys and cummins is 153.00 there is a reason for that.

I have been running an Autozone water pump for the last three years with no issues. I also had to replace the alternator at the same time due to the rusty water sprayed into it from the water pump.

• Owner

I tend to wonder about some part and why they fail. Is the failure from something the owner is doing or not doing? (Not pointing fingers but looking at why's). Like why is it that NAPA sells fuel shut solenoid for these prices but LarryB sells a cheaper one but its a better solenoid? Just because its OEM or higher price doesn't exactly state the quality of the part. Just food for thought...

• I fully agree Mopar, but when you can see the diff theres no question. The parts man at cummins made the comment 8 out of ten guys will be back in two years or less when it comes to water pump. I am a steel guy and when you see pour casting what else is pour. The cummins pump is clean as far as casting nice paint job, it looks powder coated. The pump at oreillys had a nose cone over the impellers, what the heck is that? The pump that came off of it had exposed impellers and the same with the cummins pump. I don't think a nose cone is a better option. The orielly pump came pre rusted right out of the box. lol

I am not one hundred % sure but I think the pump is off the motor I bought almost two years ago. If that's the case it is probably the original pump. The bearings is what gave up, I mean they had slack, I was surprised it held any water pressure. 

Oh yea, it could have a little to do with the rust in the radiator. lol  No worries now new rad. new heater core new water pump. Now as long as I don't loose a freeze plug. lol 

Edited by jlwelding

• Staff

I tend to wonder about some part and why they fail. Is the failure from something the owner is doing or not doing? (Not pointing fingers but looking at why's). Like why is it that NAPA sells fuel shut solenoid for these prices but LarryB sells a cheaper one but its a better solenoid? Just because its OEM or higher price doesn't exactly state the quality of the part. Just food for thought...

Chain parts stores rarely sell higher quality parts than OEM and I don't think many will dispute that. The parts are often adequate, and generally priced better but not always.

Typically places that sell parts better than OEM are custom companies, or smaller specialized companies.

I have all but stopped buying repair parts at large chain stores as the quality is visually lacking.