• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost

My 1998.5 Cummins is stock except for the air cleaner. I am not sure that my turbo is working as it should. I have the Auto Meter fp,op, and would like to add a Boost guage. When I haul a heavy load it is usually Hay Rolls or Cattle. My question is...Does the Boost guage indicate that the Turbo is working? and is it necessary to install a pyrometer guage as well. What guage range should I get. Pyro 0-1600 or 0-2000. Boost ..0-35...or..0-60.?

Edited by kerley

any of these  gauges  is  like   putting your  thumb on the  pulse of the engine.   You can  monitor   the very important   EGT,    Boost  gauge is more  for   the overall set up of   your  engine.  How it's  fueled,  timed.         

In stocker form,   pretty much   these  will give you  a warning  of   something  has   changed,  worn, or  broke.       You'll know   how hard NOT to lean on the engine with  the egt..   Prevention  of  meltdown is  kinda  nice to monitor!

In stock form,   I'd  spend the money first on the  EGT.    Boost  next.    (actually,  FP  should be first)  lol

To answer your question,   yes.   Boost gauge will  show you your  turbo's health.     But  remember,  a healthy  turbo  is  only as good as  the   'tune'  being  fed into it.     You  can  take  the same turbo and put it on  6  different tuned  engines,  and  have  6  different   boosts.      You and  I   would  use  a  boost gauge  for  monitoring   any  'changes'  in the  daily  routine..       such as  if  you  are  normally seeing  X psi at  full tilt,  and  suddenly  it  is   different...  you'll know   something's  up, time for  some  investigation. 

If you suspect  a faulty  turbo right now,    black smoke  will be your first  telltale  sign,  loss of power..

• Like 1

I use my boost pressure to drive with. (Example)  When pulling and boost reaches 15 my 47re is going to shift. If nearing a crest in a hill I will back off slightly to avoid the shift. If I have a lot more hill out front, I will shift manual. Pyrometer is not needed unless you have fuel mods on your engine.

• Like 1

If your radiator is keeping the  engine within it's  safe zone,  then  yes.   If  you are  pushing the red zone,(coolant wise)   then   egt  probably be hotter too.      Less   heat will be lost  in an overhot   engine,  than  a  normal  temp one.

so,  if you are  pushing  220-230  in the  coolant,  your  egt will be  higher  with the same   fuel and load  as  the   same engine  running   a normal 190-200

Edited by rancherman

What is the max. temp before melt down, and does the radiator cooling help with overheating?

Max temp all depends on how hot for how long... I don't think anyone has any specific number or time for that number, but as stated above below 1200 should be fine even for extended periods. 

• Staff

What is the max. temp before melt down, and does the radiator cooling help with overheating?

There are too many factors, especially on stock engines, to give an accurate number.

A bone stock 04.5-07 can run 1450-1500° all day long, and is supposed to for emissions reasons. The timing is quite retarded on those motors, so even thou the EGT's are high the cylinder temps are lower. Throw some proper timing at it and the EGT's drop, but cylinder temps increase.

There are too many factors, especially on stock engines, to give an accurate number.

A bone stock 04.5-07 can run 1450-1500° all day long, and is supposed to for emissions reasons. The timing is quite retarded on those motors, so even thou the EGT's are high the cylinder temps are lower. Throw some proper timing at it and the EGT's drop, but cylinder temps increase.

as does the cylinder pressure