• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Blower Motor

• Owner

Well for while now I've had a squeak noise from my blower motor that would come and go. Today I finally got around to look at it. I pulled the blower motor down and attempted to spin the cage. OMG! Talk about hardly spin. It must of been putting a hell of a load amps wise on the circuit. Never blown the fuse or burnt anything that I know of. But the shaft without the cage on you couldn't twist with your fingers you had to use pilers. Well my nice boss ordered me one today and just got it tonight so I'll get the new one installed in the morning.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Owner

With the cage on the motor, how freely should it spin by hand?

If you spin it by hand you should feel almost no resistance.

With the cage on it might be misleading. It will spin by hand but should spin for long period of time when the bearings are good. When bearings are shot or dry up it will still spin by hand still but the cage will come to a stop rather quickly.

Is it an easy change out? From under the hood and not have to remove the dash?

Wondering too if there is an easy way to lube the shaft bearing?

There are three screws that hold it in.  You don't have to remove the dash, the motor sits below the golve box.  There is a screw on the back of the motor, close to the firewall, that is difficult to get to but not impossible.  It just drops right down after they are removed.  15 minutes in and out.

• Like 1

Well when I bought my truck I noticed the air flow was very week coming from the vents. I made sure all doors were working proper, core wasn't plugged, had vacuum, no blockage in vents. When I pulled the blower motor out I noticed that when spun by hand it instantly stopped, plus when I want to use the lowest fan speed I must first turn it to high. It's like it needed the fan to start turning first on high.

On the stock motor the Bearings are made from a form of Bearing grade Bronze. The lubrication qualities do dissipate over time. I got an extra month out of mine by opening it up and cleaning the brush contacts and the bearing. The brushes are most likely shot which will cause it to drag just like a bad bearing.

Oreiley's carries:

Murray Climate Control - Blower Motor Part # PM3788

Limited Lifetime Warranty

$47 here in my area. 

Napa told me they don't carry blower motors for my truck. I'll go back there on Monday. Thanks

Strange....... I just went to napaonline.com and typed in the info. Sounds like someone don't know what they are doing to me.

Mine did`nt make any kind of noise.. It would just periodically not come on at all, Winter or Summer. I figured out I could reach over and slap the motor, and it would run fine until the next key cycle. Maybe.

I just bought a new replacement at Oreilly for $99 bucks,. Life time warranty, fan wheel included, and about 15 minutes to install. Only thing its "made in CHINA"???

Edited by angus

Mine did`nt make any kind of noise.. It would just periodically not come on at all, Winter or Summer. I figured out I could reach over and slap the motor, and it would run fine until the next key cycle. Maybe.

I just bought a new replacement at Oreilly for $99 bucks,. Life time warranty, fan wheel included, and about 15 minutes to install. Only thing its "made in CHINA"???

most things are these days.