• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thoughts on Edge EZ vs Superchips Flashpaq vs Other Econo Tuners

I'm looking to get a used programmer for my 00 24v 47RE.  I'm not looking for much horsepower and can't afford stacking chips, so I'm looking for one cheapo/used one to give me fuel economy.  I wouldn't mind a bit of horse or a bit of smoke or whatever, but I'm really just looking for mileage, as trans improvements have yet to come.  So far, been looking at Edge EZ, Diablo Powerpuck (with which I'll need a boost fooler, I guess), Superchips Flashpaq, or a Quazilla even though they're discontinued.

So I guess my question is: I don't want to endanger anything with a "pressure box" but on economy setting, am I really doing any harm?  If not, which of these is best for modest power gains and some fuel mileage?  I've read the manufacturer-stated gains but don't put much stock in what they say, or the reviews on amazon, ebay, etc.

If I could get timing and duration in combination with fueling, that'd be great but I guess that's in the next price bracket and more worryingly, in the next power level where I could damage the trans.

Not to mention finding these used is near impossible.  Might just go with whatever I can find.

Edited by gradymayhem

• Owner

My personal favorite is the Edge Comp. Best of both worlds plenty of power and better MPG's. The comp allows for in cab adjustment of power (25 levels) vs. EZ that is only 3 setting and mounted under the hood.

http://edgeproducts.com/products/1998-5-2000-dodge-24-v-ez-5-9l--30200/

http://edgeproducts.com/products/1998-5-2000-dodge-24-v-comp-5-9l--30300/

I second the EZ... Run it on #3. Some have a jumper, some have an in cab switch. You NEED one for 98.5-00, as the connectors are different for 02 & 02.

Ed

Jumper vs in cab switch?  Is one preferable?

You will want to add a j-hook or turnbuckle to your hy35 with either one you get for the best performance. You should be able to find an ez for $150 or so if you look around for a bit.

And I should have the hx35 because the hy was for automatics in 01 and 02 right?  So I could do a boost elbow?

• Owner

I never took my EZ off of #3. FL to UT total weight of 19,500 all stock (Except cut off exhaust) I got 15 MPG doing 60ish MPH.

Ed

Last trip to Ontario OR and back... Got $50 bucks of diesel in Weiser, ID. Running 60-65 MPH. But there is a small difference from Edge EZ and Edge Comp.

MPG = Instant MPG

Cmg = Current MPG for the Day

Tmg = Total MPG for the tank

Dte = Distance to Empty

azgq2r.jpg

I never took my EZ off of #3. FL to UT total weight of 19,500 all stock (Except cut off exhaust) I got 15 MPG doing 60ish MPH.

Ed

I'm surprised, I figured the 3rd setting would start to cause 47re problems.  But if it doesn't that's great news for me.  Although I'll basically still just use economy mode, I have the option for a bit more power next time I'm dragging a tree or something.  Found a used edge ez from a guy in Montana, I'm gonna get it as soon as I get paypal set up (they're making me jump through all these hoops).  Thanks for the input everyone, I really like this forum.  Smaller with some real knowledge and no grief for helping a relative newbie like me.

And 1973man, that is some truly impressive mpg!  I'm at 22.9 ish after my new, less aggressive tires.  But man are they easy to spin in the wet and I miss the look of the Coopers.  If I can save enough money, the next set will be Dynapro ATMs.  I've had good luck with efficiency and grip with those, not to mention my one set has lasted 3 years on the half tons I've had them on.  I hope to hit 25 (maybe ambitious) after the edge, exhaust, and after I swap out my S&B CAI for a BHAF, cause despite my good luck and diligent care of the S&B, I've heard a lot of bad talk about them.

• Owner
But man are they easy to spin in the wet and I miss the look of the Coopers.

I don't miss my Cooper STT's at all. What you need to do now is weight the front and rear axle and readjust your tire pressures. Use my formula and get a baseline pressure for your weight. If you want more traction reduce the math by 5 PSI. Slightly softer tire typically does much better at traction but a slightly firmer tire typically does better for MPG's.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/35-exterior/354-tire-inflation-formula

I don't miss my Cooper STT's at all. What you need to do now is weight the front and rear axle and readjust your tire pressures. Use my formula and get a baseline pressure for your weight. If you want more traction reduce the math by 5 PSI. Slightly softer tire typically does much better at traction but a slightly firmer tire typically does better for MPG's.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/35-exterior/354-tire-inflation-formula

Wow, the shop where I had the new tires mounted just put mine to 60 psi since the tires are rated at 80.  Sounded good to me so I just put a bit more in for mpgs and left it.  I'll try the formula once I get my axle weights.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my comp box! i got it 5 days before leaving on this deployment and WOW what a change in performance. and fuel mileage went up even with 35's

What transmission do you have? Just curious what kind of mileage you end up making with the comp. With my 6 speed, 35in tires, and 3.55 gearing I easily make 22-24 on the highway with the cruise set at 70. That was hand calculated with a GPS just to be sure. When out in ND, I just wanted to see what I could really make so I set the cruise at 65 on a 1000 mile round trip. Almost completely flat and absolutely all highway miles and I touched 26 mpg. I don't think Mikes 27 mpg's would be that far out of reach for me :evilgrin:  :sofa:

• Owner

Ilikeoldfords numbers are impressive with hand math using GPS. The only difference I can't do those kind of numbers at those speeds. Mine tend to drop off rather quickly above 60 MPH. At 65 MPH I typically see 18-20 MPH at 75 MPH it more like 14-16 MPH. But now at 55 MPH I can easily keep mid 20's... So you got me beat for speed and MPG number that's for sure. I'm also 3.55 gears but my RPM's would be much higher at highway speeds.

• Like 1

ilikeoldfords,

i have an stock auto. not sure if there is anything done to it yet. iam going to open her up when i get home to see if not then ill rebuild with billets. As for fuel mileage i only had comp box for 5 days, i didnt really have a chance to do the math i just notice how the fuel gauge would not move like it did with out the chip. And that on 5x5 wire tapped!  I just wanted something to wake it up a bit and it did!

• Like 1

Yep with my tires I am only running 1800 rpms at 70 mph. Just about perfect for efficency as far as I can tell. If I didnt do do much highway pounding empty I would really look into going back to stock tires. I loose a ton of power it seems when I load down heavy. Them 35's and the high gearing really suck the torque.

• 3 months later...

I found a used Edge #30200 with a lead with a 3-position toggle, the manual is marked for 98.5 to 2002, And in the box looks to be an adapter to fit the different MAP ends.  Can anyone confirm or deny that this will work on my '02 that should use part #030201? I have searched the forum here and Google, and the i found one topic that says the boxes are programmed differently and another guy says that was incorrect, that wit will fit and work fine with the adapter,in fact they sell the adapter separate.

Thanks gents.

AP

Edited by AGPTurbo