• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

01 Cummins auto Stalls when put into gear

Hello,

I have a 01 cummins auto, only mods are 75Hp injectors, and a fass. I just had a new injection pump installed, however the problem was there before this. When the truck is put into gear from P or N, it stalls. It will fire right back up, and when you get it to stay running, it acts as if it's under a load. When put back into park from Drive or reverse if it stays running, the RPM's jump up as if I tapped the throttle. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks in advance!

• Staff

Mine did this a few times after some hill climbing and heavy load. I kept starting it in neutral then let the truck coast downhill for a little bit and then clicked in either forward or reverse depending on the direction of the slope. After about 4 -5 times it stopped misbehaving.

Knowing the cost of a rebuilt trans and having to deal with many rebuilders that aren't the best around I have come to the conclusion that changing the trans fluid every 15,000 miles, but no power flushes :nono: Is the best savings on the planet. Just drain out what you can and replace. Do the filter every other 30,000 miles.

Edited by JAG1

It does actually, spoke with the previola owner he stated it was a smone switch.

If that isn't it, I just spoke with Phil Taylor at DPC (diesel performance converters), he said that a lower stall converter and a tight converter can stall your engine out. His recommendation is a stock stall, but sounds like your problem might go deeper than that.

Set the idle higher than stock and it could help?

You could do this with a 12 valve, but a VP or CR you can't set the idle. Mine idles at about 900RPM so that it will be 750RPM in gear.

I see the hard anodizing flake off of the switching valves in the valve body quite often. The flakes can (and often do) stick the switching valve in the partially applied position. This will cause the converter clutch to drag. Sonnax makes a decent replacement valve if there is any flaking/jamming going on.

Even if the TCC solenoid is stuck in the on position, there isn't any fluid being fed to it until after the 1-2 shift (unless someone has modified the VB for 1st gear lockup), so it would not be possible for it to cause a lockup in 1st or reverse.

One note on low stall converters; a properly built low-stall converter will require little (if any) more brake than stock to hold the truck stationary in gear at idle. If the converter is pulling the idle down so far that it kills the engine, it's too tight...

• Like 2

The stator clutches can seize hard to the point there is no stall in the TC and as soon as a gear engages the engine dies, or, they can partially fail and pull rpms under the set point and try to drive thru the brakes.

I would put the truck in neutral and drop it into drive and immediately let off the brake. May even have to give it a little throttle to overcome the dragging TC. The Fuel system on the VP44 trucks can not compensate fast enough to stay running when put under a load at idle and will easily stall. If the truck takes off and drives fine I'd say you have a failed torque convertor. If the engine runs fine and there are no codes that point to something else it is almost definitely trans related. There is nothing on the engine side that will cut the fuel simply by putting it in gear.

Edited by diesel4life
  • Like 1

While there is really no such thing as "stator clutches" in a torque converter (unless you're referring to the stator's roller clutch, which is supposed to be locked and holding the stator stationary when under load), the converter clutch plates themselves can be held partially applied, causing a mechanical coupling between the impeller and the turbine. This will drag the idle speed down and, in extreme cases, kill the engine at a stop. There are several causes for this, the most common of which (that I see) is a sticking switching valve in the VB. A failing clutch can also cause this when friction material that is peeling off of the friction plate(s) becomes lodged in the clutch assembly, causing a dragging clutch and can kill the engine as well.

At any rate, the test given by diesel4life above will help to isolate where the cause may lie.

• Like 1