• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3rd gen 4x4 shifting question.

bjytech

I've been looking online at 3rd gen trucks for a friend and I've noticed that some trucks have a floor shifter for the transfer case and other don't have one, but the ads say that they are 4x4.

So I was just wondering what thats all about? Did they have a electronic shift option or something? all the 4x4 ones I've been in personaly have the regular floor shift for the transfer case.

I think they started offering the electric t-case shift option around 06-07 on the 3rd gens, never personally saw an 05 or earlier one with electric shift.

I do like the manual shift version, nothing beets being able to reach down and have instant 4X4 and not have to wait for 5-10 seconds for the newer electric system to engage or even the vacuum CAD systems of the second gens for that matter.

My 2010 1500 Hemi has double the electrics, has an electric actuator on both the front axle and t-case.

The 2003 Service manual has the electronic shift NV273 in it. I think it was a Laramie option in 2003+, and became more common on lower trims as time progressed.

My '05 Laramie has the electronic shift and has worked well since I've owned it.

My '00 has the manual shift on the floor but still some how uses vacuum to shift into gear.  I couldn't shift into 4x4 a few weeks back and found of vacuum hose was split.  Once fixed it shifted fine.

I timed mine today and it takes between 2-3 seconds to kick in

Your 06 I am assuming only has the t-case mounted shift actuator with the live front axle.

My 2010 1500 Hemi has an actuator on the t-case and it has an electronic actuated CAD on the passenger side axle right off the diff pretty much like GM has used for a long while now. Which is why it takes a bit longer to engage, better have it locked in long before you think you will need it and not as I used to and pull it in while I was plowing through the snow banks already with the mechanical shift 4X4's.