• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

He351ve stand alone Arduino controller code for 2nd Gen Cummins

If you want smoke control change from the smarty.  It vastly overfuels offidle according to the datalogs I took.  As you get bigger injectors you need to pull fuel off idle to help with smoke.  No turbo is gonna help that offidle smoke, that's all in the tuning.

This controller will handle any holset ve turbo, but smoke control is a result of the tuning.

Honestly my 351ve loves my 7 x .009 dfi injectors plus the quad.  My daily tune only hazes on wot take off.  I wouldn't go any bigger on the turbo unless you are gonna stepup injectors beyond 7 x 010's

Here's my setup

Define your power goals and I can help let you know if a vgt is a good choice or not.

Edited by Me78569

Me78569,

I have about 8,500 lbs 5th wheel that right now gets pretty toasty towing up hill. The area that I like to camp in has about a 2.5 mile run up a 6% grade.   I always seem to be fighting EGT vs trans temp.  

The Smarty has the ability to custom tune, but I have not played with it and I use SW5 for towing and SW1 for street.

What I would like, If possible, is to be able to install the TST PM3 (I like the ability of the PM3 to pull out fuel to keep EGT below a user set temp) stacked with the Smarty and figure out how to tune it and be able to tow my 5th wheel and have reasonable temps and smoke control.  I also like the exhaust brake function of the VE. If I am unable to custom tune the Smarty then I would just run the PM3.  I would also like to be able to set everything to kill and play at the drag strip.  If I have to put a hp level I guess I would like to have 400-450 useable rwhp.

Is there someplace where can find out the differances between the 341, 351, 451, 551 turbos?

Thanks for the help!

• Owner
5 minutes ago, BRI7070 said:

What I would like, If possible, is to be able to install the TST PM3 (I like the ability of the PM3 to pull out fuel to keep EGT below a user set temp) stacked with the Smarty and figure out how to tune it and be able to tow my 5th wheel and have reasonable temps and smoke control.

Quadzilla can do that right now. You can set EGT limit keeping EGT's below a set limit. Way better timing control than Smarty & TST could. Fuel control of the Quadzilla is the best fuel control for 24V trucks. 

Look at the sw5 data log I posted.   That's the egt issue.

The tst can't pull fuel beyond just Turing off.  Not gonna help your current egt issues while towing if you currently have issues.  You need a timing box so running the tst alone isn't a great solution.

If you want a Max of 450hp then stick with the he351ve.  There are hundreds of different vgt sizes for each of the classes.

You can't really custom tunewith the smarty or tst, you can choose levels and settings that someone else defined.

Again look at the datalogs, the smarty s03 is very aggressive offidle on any level.  

Some guys have good luck with the Revo settings, my truck didn't really like anything I did.  It was a smoke show no matter what.

• Like 1

I think I needs to get an he351ve and the arduino controller.  I will have to make the best of the smarty for now.  I looked into the Quadzilla website and there are quite a few options.  What would be your recommendations? 

On 7/1/2017 at 1:16 PM, Me78569 said:

Yes, I created that video.

Cool.  I guess my next step to to find an he341ve and pick up a controller.  And work the smarty best as I can until I can upgrade to the quad.

Any recommendations as to where to get a turbo?.. pockets are not deep.

• 1 month later...

I built the arduino setup that I picked up the pieces of the code on here.. have built it and it worked on my friends 2010 no problem ( thanks BTW!)

it won't talk to my 2014 actuator (new style where the connector is on the he351 housing)

i realize the wiring on the connectors are different and have it wired correctly

thanks!