• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Diamond eye exhaust

So I've decided on the 4in DE exhaust. I've heard nothing but good things and buying from a local and US made product is always a good thing IMO. A couple questions...

When the exhauat says it comes with a "muffler replacement" is that the equivalent of muffler delete?

Also I'd rather not use my stock exhaust clamps, what are some good clamps I could get and how many would I need?

Thanks in advance!

The "muffler replacement" is just a piece of exhaust pipe instead of a muffler. For clamps the system should come with all that you will need. However, they will be the U-bolt style clamps and I don't care for them much and recommend exhaust band clamps like the picture below, any heavy truck parts place should have them in stock. Off the top of my head I think it would use 5 clamps.

EZseal_clamp2-lg600.jpg

Edited by bjytech

Ok I'll look for some of those style clamps, they look pretty solid. Is it reasonable to think a 4in clamp is what's used for a 4in exhauat or do you need to get bigger then what your trying to clamp?

I'll also be buying from one of our dealers on here!

Edited by notlimah

You will need to use a few of the original clamps for the hangers.

I recommend running a resonator from FTE diesel rather than straight pipe especially if you have an extended cab, much better option than a muffler and it kills the drone in the cab which a muffler will not while leaving a nice sound out the end of the pipe.

Ok I'll look for some of those style clamps, they look pretty solid. Is it reasonable to think a 4in clamp is what's used for a 4in exhauat or do you need to get bigger then what your trying to clamp?

I'll also be buying from one of our dealers on here!

Yes, you would use 4in. clamps.

I have the extended cab & my kit came with a straight through "muffler" (a glass pack with a 4" hole straight through the center, LOL!)  I ended up adding a 36" FTE resonator...  the drine got to me towing...  sounded fine running empty.   I could have saved work by including the resonator in the first place. 

I bought a generic Stainless Steel kit...  It will outlast the truck.   

So it sounds like everyone went with the muffler delete at first and then switched over and added the resonator?

I typically don't tow much at all, and usually just run empty. I'll haul an occasional boat during the summer months, but not much. Would it be worth throwing the resonator on right off the bat, or should I just try it straight through and see how I like it and put on the resonator later if its to much?

Do the resonator with a 4" system and be happier for not having to deal with the drone whether you tow or not, Make sure to mount the resonator as close to the down pipe as you can, depending on how loud you want the exhaust they have 2 different lengths of resonator, I went with the 30" long one and it is still fairly throaty sounding so glad I went longer than shorter.

Don't waste your money on a muffler that way too, 30" resonator will be all that's needed.

seems once the factory exhaust is gone and 4' or bigger the drone is bad all the time.

Do the resonator with a 4" system and be happier for not having to deal with the drone whether you tow or not, Make sure to mount the resonator as close to the down pipe as you can, depending on how loud you want the exhaust they have 2 different lengths of resonator, I went with the 30" long one and it is still fairly throaty sounding so glad I went longer than shorter.

Don't waste your money on a muffler that way too, 30" resonator will be all that's needed.

seems once the factory exhaust is gone and 4' or bigger the drone is bad all the time.

Hmm... thanks for the input! To install the resonator do you have to cut out a piece of the exhaust and then put in the resonator? Still deciding if I want to be stubborn and try out the exhaust without the resonator. I really don't mind the truck being loud. My other truck I have setup with exhaust so it doesn't drone while driving since it's more the 'family vehicle' then the dodge. Plus most speed limits I deal with on a daily basis are 60 and under so I'm definitely not going to be screaming around! If it's simple to add a resonator later on I might just give it a go, knowing that if I decide to add it later it'll be my own fault!

The bank clamps work fine & ae much better if you ever need to get it apart.  It's not about the speed, it's about the load.  How hard you work the truck. 

My previous truck was a Chevy C30, built 454, headers.  The header kit came with glass packs & it sounded sweet running around empty...  not loud at all.  THEN I hooked up a horse trailer to it.  One trip. It was so loud, I was half deaf & I was worried if I was deafening the horses who were closer to the outlet.  I put oversized truck mufflers on it, quieted it right down.

Same with the straight through glass pack that came with my kit. 

It would have been easier to do it all the first time. 

Yep, Those or the preformed ones are the cats meow, most parts jobbers carry them or truck shops, easy seal is the brand name but there are others I have seen.

Resonator installs exactly like a muffler anywhere you want to cut a spot for but it is recommended as far forward as possible to cut the drone down the most, they have a flared end and a regular pipe size end.

I found the drone the worst at slow speeds versus freeway speeds as the engine was working a bit more it seemed in our hills and wind we usually have.

So I ordered up the exhaust. I'm going to install it as is without the resonator and see how I like it. I saw this video and it made me want to at least try it without the resonator. I know it's a 12v but I can't imagine it sounding any different on the 24v.

Hopefully I'm not starting another thread in a couple weeks asking more resonator questions and hearing all you say "I told ya so! :tongue:" I'll try and make my own video of the before and after to share and maybe make others decisions easier!

Edited by notlimah
  • Like 1

I have the DE 5" straight and love it, its a great sounding system and I get no drone towing or empty.  My whole truck has been undercoated therefore making it even less loud in the cab.  I usually roll down my passenger window to enjoy the beautiful song of the cummins.  I may try to do a video tomorrow if I have time.  You will enjoy it, I'm sure of it.

• Like 1