• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey Dorkweed!

angus

Man I got started putting my Spyntec hubs on today... I got one side done, and the hub/lockout sticks out 2" past the lug cap?? It is supposed to be the D0008S shorty kit?? I was not expecting anything more than the lockout cap to stick out.

Man I got started putting my Spyntec hubs on today... I got one side done, and the hub/lockout sticks out 2" past the lug cap?? It is supposed to be the D0008S shorty kit?? I was not expecting anything more than the lockout cap to stick out.

Sounds like they sent you the "regular" version of their hubs.  

post-732-0-03163700-1428970024_thumb.jpgpost-732-0-03412200-1428970072_thumb.jpgpost-732-0-64434900-1428970164_thumb.jpg

Looks like I have the right kit.. There seems to be an optical illusion looking at it without the hub cap on. I should have about 1 1/8 - 1 1/4" sticking out with the lockout when I`m finished.

You got the "regular" kit like I said above.  Yours looks just like mine.

I talked with Matt from Spyntec. He said the latest version of the shorty hubs measure 4 3/4" from the stud flange to the end of the hub. These are 1 1/4" shorter than there original hub. I measured mine and they are the latest version.

• Staff

So they are on a 3rd revision?!?!

That really has me wondering what is up. That is 3 different spindles and hubs, seems like trial and error.

I know when I shopped for hubs ones of the reasons Yukon was wider than spyntec was bearing heat. It makes me wonder if the 1st shorty kit ran too hot.

Look at the link I posted, it shouldn't stick out past the tire.

I think the OEM wheels on my "03" have a deeper back spacing than the ones on your link.. My hub caps are flush with the outside of the tires.. After looking a little deeper I`m going to have about an 1/8" of hub showing, and 1" of lockout.  Its not going to be 2" like I first thought. I need to finish the install and get the caps cut out. I`ll post some more pics when I get it wraped up.

So they are on a 3rd revision?!?!

That really has me wondering what is up. That is 3 different spindles and hubs, seems like trial and error.

I know when I shopped for hubs ones of the reasons Yukon was wider than spyntec was bearing heat. It makes me wonder if the 1st shorty kit ran too hot.

The guy I ordered everything from emailed me some pics of the original kits installed and they looked a little goofy.. you would need to watch out for pedestrians in parking lots or you might take someones legs out!

I think there have only been two versions I`m aware of??

Edited by angus

• Staff

The photo you posted makes the look like it's a lot more than 1 1/8" past the hub cap.

Looking back at the thread I posted the wheels are H2, which do in fact have a different backspacing and rim width. There will be ± 1.25" more hub exposed on the OEM wheels than the H2 wheels.

I understood your "latest version" to mean they had changed the shorty kit again, maybe they didn't.

Ditch those MM hubs for some Yukon Lockout's and it will be even narrower.

• Staff

IIRC all the OEM wheels in 17x8 have the same backspacing, but the steel wheels are thinner so a little more hub will protrude than someone with OEM aluminum wheels.

The Shorty kit is reported at 1.25" shorter than the original kit.

Something doesn't add, or subtract, up.... just looking at the photos from dork and angus.

Dork... it looks like you have the shorty kit in your photos.

On my '04.5, with the OEM chrome-clad rims and stock sized tires, I have 1 5/8" of hub and lockout past the hub cover that I drilled out.  5/8" of hub and 1" of lockout.

Your one picture looks sort of like mine here.......http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/5078-which-free-spin-hub-kit/page-2 ........................post #26

Dork, your rims & caps are identical to mine . So that should be what mine look like as well.

IIRC all the OEM wheels in 17x8 have the same backspacing, but the steel wheels are thinner so a little more hub will protrude than someone with OEM aluminum wheels.

The Shorty kit is reported at 1.25" shorter than the original kit.

Something doesn't add, or subtract, up.... just looking at the photos from dork and angus.

Dork... it looks like you have the shorty kit in your photos.

The guy from Spyntec assured me that they only sell one hub with the shorty, and that the longer version was discontinued sometime in 2012.

I`m wondering if running a wheel spacer would make much difference?

There is no way anyone is gonna get the entire hub/lockout flush with the type of OEM rims I have.

Here's a picture of my drivers side take from the front of my truck.  I tried to get everything lined up good for y'all.  Here's what it looks like..............post-7-0-20483200-1429131860_thumb.jpg

Yes, I do have a tape measure.  Several actually!!!

Edited by dorkweed