• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Frantz Filter being removed.

• Staff

For a bypass you really need to be sub 5 micron absolute, it is not worth the money for worse ratings as most wear causing particles are in the 5-7 range.

10 micron nominal is a joke, my full flow filter is better than that.

Amsoil has a niche in this regard, 2um absolute and 39% of sub micron soot removal is unmatched. As someone mentioned there is the FS2500 kit which costs more and is not as efficient. Your only better option is a centrifuge, which is harder to make work in our engine bays.

Modern oils have made soot very very difficult to remove, so the old school filters don't cut it.

You come to Boise at least once a year and I can get you Amsoil filters at cost. All you need is the 1-16" head with proper gasket spacing.

You could use the 3um Donaldson fuel filters for oil, but they don't hold as much and will need more frequent replacement.

Speaking of fuel filters the presence of asphenelates on you OEM filter is not an indicator of filtration levels, it's an indicator that you are using diesel... Nothing more.

• Owner

I should of measured the hub of the Frantz Filter and seen what size of roll I need to fit it snug again so next time I hit a WalMart or similar I can measure a wide variety of brands to see if I can hit a better roll. Still leaves me with a leaking can issue and finding the square cut o-rings that are better. I've got another 4 or 5 o-rings left and they seem to be leaking by the next oil change. Messy SOB. That why I still going to do more reading and research. There has to be a cost effective solution. Something that doesn't need to be cleaned up like spinner and Frantz. I really do hate the mess you have to deal with and leaks. Spin on filter are more appealing but "specs aren't good enough".

So I have to say... These industrial applications that use these spin on bypass oil filters must be good enough for something. Being most of the application list is diesel engines that these filter are used for.

• Staff

Many of them may have been better than older full flow filters, with older oils. Why run a 10um nominal bypass when you can run a 7um nominal full flow?? Older filter media was low on flow and filtration, so a 10um bypass may have been better. New media is much better, something that is needed with higher engine ratings. A 160hp 5.9 is much easier on oil than a 300+hp one.

Just like the original FASS and Air Dog filter, just because they have a WIF drain doesn't make them better than OEM.

Application and ratings are very important.

• 3 months later...

I know this post is old but what ever happened Moparman did you switch? I just ordered a new bracket to relocate my frantz and I ordered some synthetic TP for 9$ and change. But i am to having a big problem with mine leaking from the canister I just changed the gasket so we will see. Do you think its because it mounted upside down? But I understand about it being messy it takes me longer to change the Frantz than BOTH my fuel filters. I was so angry last night i was going to get rid of it but looking at the cost of amsoil I will just make it work. 

• 2 weeks later...

here is a link 

http://www.frantzfilters.com/product/base-gasket-10-pack/

14.95 for a 10 pack of seals.

their customer service is nothing like Deborah's either. I bought a new shinny oil cap from them and not anywhere on the web page does it say you need certain equipment to make it work so then I snapped my swivel bolt from my old cap completely off. In which I had to drill out and re-thread the cap and  I called them to see what heck and no one could talk to me until Monday. I had to completely remove the frantz to drive my truck. when they did call me the guy said it tapers down and the use a quick disconnect on the return line. That would have been nice to know when I bought it.

Also off the subject but the synthetic TP is rated for 10,000 miles even for a diesel.  

Edited by ADawg

Well I've come to love the Baldwin BD7317 oil filter. Bypass filtration built into one unit no extra hoses or possible leak points. Also Blackstone labs seem to think it's doing a better job on the truck compared to the Fleetguard LF9028.

• Staff

Well I've come to love the Baldwin BD7317 oil filter. Bypass filtration built into one unit no extra hoses or possible leak points. Also Blackstone labs seem to think it's doing a better job on the truck compared to the Fleetguard LF9028.

I am not sure I am 100% sold on those. Fleetguard/Baldwin only spec them for stationary engines.

I've gotten pretty good at changing my frantz without spilling a drop of oil. Seal only needs to be replaced periodically. I got a 12'pack of Scott paper for like $6. Pretty cheap. Now with the sale of frantz I know purchasing a new system has become EXPENSIVE! I doubt I would buy one at the current cost of like $400.

I am not sure I am 100% sold on those. Fleetguard/Baldwin only spec them for stationary engines.

You are correct I have called Baldwin and spoke with them and they told me it's approved by Cummins.

My local Cummins facility says the LF9028 is approved and recommend for use on all 5.9L engines.

I've ran both filters and the Baldwin BD7317 seems to be the better of the two also its cheaper and easier to source.

• Staff

But what is the service life on them??

If you go to the Fleetguard site it sure doesn't look like they are approved for all 5.9 applications. 

https://catalog.cumminsfiltration.com/catalog/PrinApp.do?reqCmd=PrinApp&partNumber=LF9028&mfrCode=FLGRD&linkClicked=2&partflag=0&partflag1=0&forPartNumber=LF9028

They are a great filter but the application may be wrong. It is unknown what kind of service life they will have in an automotive application. 

If you go to the Fleetguard site it sure doesn't look like they are approved for all 5.9 applications.

https://catalog.cumminsfiltration.com/catalog/PrinApp.do?reqCmd=PrinApp&partNumber=LF9028&mfrCode=FLGRD&linkClicked=2&partflag=0&partflag1=0&forPartNumber=LF9028

They are a great filter but the application may be wrong. It is unknown what kind of service life they will have in an automotive application.

The Fleetguard variant has a 30 micron absolute rating and if I remember the bypass portion is either 3 or 5 micron.

I will double check the info for the Baldwin but I believe it's absolute micron rating is 20 and the bypass is 5 micron. I've got tech specs on the Baldwin on my laptop I will double check tomorrow and let yall know.

The Fleetguard variant has a 30 micron absolute rating and if I remember the bypass portion is either 3 or 5 micron.

I will double check the info for the Baldwin but I believe it's absolute micron rating is 20 and the bypass is 5 micron. I've got tech specs on the Baldwin on my laptop I will double check tomorrow and let yall know.

I bought a Fleetguard centrifugal oil filter and gave it to a buddy who was going to fabricate a mount and source the fittings and hoses.  I haven't asked him about that in ages.  I will have to ask him about it and see how much he has done on it.