• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2nd Gen fuel filters

My son is the proud new owner of of a "00" 3500 DRW  24V.  I finally got around to looking under the hood this past Friday after his lovely wife ran it out of fuel up on main street (another story).. Anyway I noticed his truck has the same style fuel canister as my 3rd gen..  I`m thinking if the truck were mine I would go with a Baldwin PF7977 

5 micron filter along with a good lift pump upgrade. 

The reason I`m throwing this out there is because I remember seeing somekind of warning on Geno`s website about using 7 micron filters being too restrictive for 2nd gens???

What do you guys think?

I have had good luck with the BD Maxx flow pump and filters I put on my 03 last fall.. A guy can purchase that pump alone and run the 7977 filter in the can.. might not be a bad setup??.  That pump has adjustable pressure with different springs. I had to back mine down to 11psi @ idle but they have an 18-20 psi and a 22-24 psi setup.

Edited by angus

I ran the pf7977 after I upgraded to the later canister in my 98. Had a Fass running 47 psi through it and the "Restrictive" banjos.

47 psi!! Damn thats alot of pressure!  I`m going to steer him towards about 18 psi at the VP and run the 7977 filter just for a little extra security.

You can configure the BD pumps several different ways, such as pump alone, or pump with WF prefilter, or secondary PF, or both.  He currently has what appears to be the OEM Carter lift pump.. From my past experience they can only supply about the minimal just to keep the truck running .

• Staff

I know that many diesel fuel systems have run for many years with the 2 stage filter system like everyone's talking about. Mine has a 30 micron water separator before the lift pump and then down to 10 micron factory filter.

I like the Racor because it says it's designed for the suction side of the lift pump and like the clear bowl at the bottom. I don't know if other brands specify which side of the lift pump or not.