• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Water/Meth Injection for Better Fuel Mileage

• Owner

Like towing I can see 30-32 PSI on 7% grade towing my RV and stay very cool at 1,100*F at 55 MPH. Empty grade climbing like Goose Creek to McCall, ID its another 7% and I regularly see 10-20 PSI of boost and about 800*F worth EGT's with a speed limits of 45 MPH and corners rated for 25 MPH. Again smaller injectors, stock turbo, etc. But now flip that coin over and go for racing. I'd lose.. I man enough to admit I would lose that battle quick because I got the power out of the hole up to about 65-70 MPH and flattens out beyond that where your setup would be just pouring on the power after that large turbo got spun up. Again its about designing the power band where its more useful for you driving style.

I have a 62/65/13 High Tech stainless sitting in the corner which I just took off.  I put on the 64/71/14 for great passing power.  The power band is now exactly where I want it:     50-90 MPH in about 3 seconds.  WOW!  I love it.

• Like 1

WM is pretty useless for CDI.

I tried 3 systems ....... and basicalyl got a minimal drop in EGT and no MPG gain ...........

Lots of methanol, water .......... wasnt worth it when you add teh cost of the methanol.

Twins or a properly tuned single are only way to go. Id never not have twins now. 

• Like 1

I have a 62/65/13 High Tech stainless sitting in the corner which I just took off.  I put on the 64/71/14 for great passing power.  The power band is now exactly where I want it:     50-90 MPH in about 3 seconds.  WOW!  I love it.

You can make over 500 hp on the 62. Ask me how I know.

With your 75hp injectors I would be willing to bet you didn't gain hardly any power going to the 64. It probably feels more powerful because the 64 doesn't have as wide of a power band. The power just hits when it spools unlike the 62 where the power comes on smooth.

So in the end... you're under 500 hp because of your injectors and you have a large turbo that is laggy and dropping your fuel mileage... I think back to the 62 is your best option.

• Like 1

The 64 is staying!  Bigger injectors will be going in sometime this summer.  It definitely feels more powerful.  I don't give a dam about horsepower, since it's just a calculation.  What I care about is passing slow traffic quickly, and that is now a reality.

The 64 is staying!  Bigger injectors will be going in sometime this summer.  It definitely feels more powerful.  I don't give a dam about horsepower, since it's just a calculation.  What I care about is passing slow traffic quickly, and that is now a reality.

You're being serious right now? This is why I don't share my knowledge. Try to give facts but the "butt dyno" is always right :duh:

• Like 2

• Owner

So the next problem will be the MPG will go lower now with larger injectors. EGT's will go up more when unspooled which will be the smog issue next. Also with California smog regulations you going to have to watch your smoke emissions too might get a smoking ticket?

• Like 3

This thread is whacky, OP wants to go one direction with things but is adding parts to defeat the entire purpose of the original posts intent, like I said a few posts back, can't have it both ways with the direction you are headed. :think:

Either you want efficiency from cooler egts or you want performance and power that naturally bring about higher egts with the mods being made. :bolt:

Personally if I personally were to go about adding injectables "which I wouldn't ever do anyhow" it would be propane or just do a complete LNG system once the technology comes main stream, there are a few companies doing it already but overall is still in early development and use as of now, lots of home brewed systems out now too for LNG, most major heavy equipment mfgs are on the fence and or working with other companies to develop these systems.

• Like 1

I started this topic to find out if water injection was worth consideration.  What I found out is I'm doing everything wrong because I'm not exactly like you.  Please excuse my inability to accept that there is only one way to do things, your way.

• Like 1

• Owner

Your title states...

Water/Meth Injection for Better Fuel Mileage

So I've been looking at ways of improving your MPG's being that is the subject title. If it was change to "Water/Meth Injection for Better Power" you would get a change of answers instantly. But I've been designing my answers to fit the MPG angle that the title suggest and making power a secondary category. :shrug:  But never mind... I'm backing down...

• Like 1

I started this topic to find out if water injection was worth consideration.  What I found out is I'm doing everything wrong because I'm not exactly like you.  Please excuse my inability to accept that there is only one way to do things, your way.

I never said to do it the way I do. Moparman and I have completely different setups and we seem to get along pretty well.... We just understand I'm not getting 25mpg and he's not going to have 500hp.

I stated you merely gained lag and lost fuel mileage from a larger turbo. Whether you want to believe the FACTS or not you didn't gain anything from the turbo. You're out of fuel. You add more fuel you lose fuel mileage. (The original intent of this thread correct?) 

If you want performance that's a different story... I can give you a ton of information on fueling / turbo combos and the effects each one is going to have on your setup (Mileage, egt, ect.)

Try being a little less defensive... everyone is just giving you advice for better fuel mileage.

• Like 3

I just refilled for the first time since changing to the bigger turbo.  21.7 MPG, compared to 22.3 before.  I was expecting it to be lower, since I've done quite a few runs on the Butt Dyno just to feel the power surge.  I've also blown past a few Priuses for pure enjoyment.  You've gotta have some fun in this life!  So considering everything, I'm VERY pleased with the truck the way it is.  I'm pretty certain that 22 MPG is realistic if I could stop enjoying the adrenaline so much. 

• Like 1

What injectors are you upgrading to? VCOs or SACs? 150s? I'd be interested in how your mileage changed with bigger injectors. Also, I don't know too many daily driver guys running water meth. Track trucks and fifth wheel/goose neck trucks that haul 24/7 are the only ones I know of running injectables around here. The cost benefit just isn't there unless you haul for a living or doing 1/4 mile rips. 

Thank you for responding.  Everyone his indicated that water injection is not really useful in my situation.  One of the respondents (JOHNFAK) even tried three systems before giving up on water injection.  This is the kind of information I was looking for.  Thank you, JOHNFAK.  So, water injection is no longer a consideration.

Regarding the upcoming injector upgrade, that is still in question.  F1 has a good reputation for low smoke, which is important to me.  Unfortunately they have ceased production of the Mach 3, which was 130 HP 7 hole SAC.  This would have been my 1st choice.  That leaves me with Mach 2, a 7 hole SAC rated at 105 HP, or the Mach 4, a 7 hole SAC rated at 150 HP.  I'm leaning toward the Mach 2, but wondering if it will be adequate to spin the 64/71 turbo at efficient operating speed.

Any suggestions?  Please don't tell me the F1s are too pricey.  That's for me to decide.  I'm only interested in the most efficient, low smoke injectors possible.

I would think you would need 150's to be happy.

Heck a lot of guys run 150's on the hx35 without issues.

If cost if no issue then I would suggest using westons injectors.  everyone who makes big power and has tried his swear