• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How can I Lower My Egt's

• Staff
8 minutes ago, KBecker443 said:

Damn that stinks, I had multiple guys tell me this is the turbo I needed for my truck and what I have done and want to use it for. 

Maybe you have said it already, but what all have you done and how do you want to use it?

I want to use the truck as a strong and reliable daily driver, use it a few times a year to pull a 5th wheel and I also use it for hunting and sometimes just fooling around. Not going for 800HP or anything of that sort but a good strong truck that I can use for pretty much anything. I’ve always wanted a 2md gen since my uncle had them when I was growing up so when I had the opportunity to get one I figured get one and make it do everything

single turbo vp44 truck that tows should be limited to a ~500 hp in my mind.  Beyond that and they start to become no fun to tow with.   A 500 hp vp truck is still a lot of fun to drive.   That means a 62 mm inducer ish sized turbo, and some 7 x .010 or .011's  I would choose the later.  

• Like 1

After you deal with your gearing yes i think you would be much happier overall. 

Again don't do anything until you regear or get smaller tires.  Without that change no turbo change in the world is going to help

• Like 1

• Staff

Are you able to tow a 5th wheel with the lift and 37's? My folks have a 5er with OEM flipped axles and his 06 on stock rear suspension and 34's is about as close as comfortable for dirt road towing.  

Anyhow... if you're going to continue running 37's and want to tow then a gear swap is in order. If the towing is occasional and you don't want to spend the cash then lockout OD until you're above 60-65. 

Have you ensured there aren't any boost leaks? What kind of boost are you running with the EGT's at 1100 and 65 mph. 

It's likely everything is due to the gears, tires, and larger turbo.. but it's also good to verify there aren't any leaks. 

Wasn't there another guy on here wanting to ditch his 4.10's.... 2nd gen too??

• Staff

Is his 5th wheel lifted? It seems like the 5er and the aft section of the bed would be way too close. I've seen plenty of guys contact their campers with 35's. 

4.10's would put your gearing about where it was for a 265/75R16's and 3.55's. 4.88's will take some the the mechanical disadvantage away, similar to stock tires with 4.10's. It all depends on how much towing you plan to do. 

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would consider the 4.88 gears because at 65 MPH it would be right at 2K on the tach. Towing that would be top of the torque curve and tow like a dream. 

In OD yes, but the truck would be at 3K rpms in 3rd and 65 mph... so there is a trade off too. 

His 5th wheel is lifted he mainly takes it to the dunes in california. I’m getting ready todo a stage 2 pan off kit for the trans as well as a deep pan to help with the trans so trans should be in very good shape for towing. My biggest worrie with the truck is lowering EGTs and a ABS light I can’t seem to get rid of. 

• Owner
1 minute ago, KBecker443 said:

ABS light I can’t seem to get rid of. 

That's because of the tires. You need to have the ABS reprogrammed for the revs/miles for that tire size. Also double check all 3 sensors (replace if needed). Then the rare thing is to have a broke tone wheel. I had my right front break the spot welds and the tone wheel would spin. 

2 minutes ago, KBecker443 said:

My biggest worrie with the truck is lowering EGTs

Gearing will fix that.

3 minutes ago, KBecker443 said:

’m getting ready todo a stage 2 pan off kit for the trans as well as a deep pan to help with the trans so trans should be in very good shape for towing.

Talk to @Dynamic here he's our Dodge transmission expert and builds a killer transmission. Being I've a got a 46RE in my 1500 from him and it a mean little transmission.

• Staff

That makes sense. 

So you need to think about how you plan to use the truck year round. 

4.88's will be the most "fun" around town, and do great for towing at higher speeds of 65-70. You're big hill climbing speed will likely be limited to about 58 based or rpms and not power. 

4.10's will be a little more sluggish around town and not tow as well at 65-70, but you will be able to downshift to 3rd at 60-70 and pull hills at 2300-2700. 

So it's a tradeoff. 

Pretty sure my abs computer is bad I’ve replaced both wheel sensors and the one on the rear diff, every computer we hook up to it says a short of some sort. 

I think 4.88s would be best for me. Considering I only pull the 5th wheel 3-4 times a year less than 500 miles each way. 

Any place you gear company’s you recommend or that I should stay away from?

• Owner
Just now, KBecker443 said:

Pretty sure my abs computer is bad I’ve replaced both wheel sensors and the one on the rear diff, every computer we hook up to it says a short of some sort. 

Did you test your wiring and determine which sensor or lead is has the short? As for the ABS computer, it can be rebuilt for $130 in Moscow, Idaho at https://modulemaster.com. Really great company and warranty for 5 years. 

https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/shop/brakes/abs-modules/abs-kh-dodge/

I would test the wires at the ABS computer.  truck off, Use a paper clip to "jump" the connector at the pumpkin, then use a multimeter to ohm out the circuit at the abs computer.  

It should be VERY close to 0.00

I would expect your mph gauge to read before 15-20 mph.  that and the abs codes make me thing you have a wiring issue.  There is a junction above the drivers front tire that gets nasty and corroided.  

• Like 1