• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crankcase Vent Modification Pieces

• Owner

If your offroad at all you might consider over the top method. No, you can't use rubber hose for the over the top method, it will kink shut and blow the seals out. Basically use 1/2" PVC pipe and route it over the top and down the back side of the engine. Make sure your down pipe is not too long.

If your offroad at all you might consider over the top method. No, you can't use rubber hose for the over the top method, it will kink shut and blow the seals out. Basically use 1/2" PVC pipe and route it over the top and down the back side of the engine. Make sure your down pipe is not too long.

Mine is still higher than my axle.  I haven't had any issues in ice, snow, or farm roads.  I haven't been on many real USFS roads or jeep trails lately but if it takes my vent hose off I am probably going to lose some brake lines too. 

In the article i see the piece of rubber hose your saying thats a no no right, then i should just come off the top of the beather with 1/2 pvc pipe and then go down the head and out the back?

Mike's breather mod is great. I myself have an oil/air separator hooked up that is a breather/catch can. The breather filter gets cleaned once every month with the K&N filter solvent and the catch can drained every time I fill up.

The most expensive way is to buy the Fleetguard breather that utilizes an oil drain back to the crankcase. Like I said it's effective and expensive.

I myself plan on using the Fleetguard setup in the future but for now my catch can/oil separator breather works well.

attachicon.gif010.JPG

attachicon.gif011.JPG

Oil resistant hose, but I used a 90 up front and either a 90 or 45 at the back of the engine. The flexible hose makes it easier to work on the engine, you can just move it out of the way. I haven't had any issues with it so far

so you do have to use a little bit of rubber hose before going into the pvc pipe, 

This is a great mod and cheap.  I had an extremely plugged radiator because of the stock set up.  This also got rid of the oil smell I had in the cab. 

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/42-crankcase-vent-mod

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/46-engine-what-happens-if-you-keep-the-stock-crankcase-vent

how long is that rubber hose in the picture and how long is everyones pvc pipe going out the back and down the head? 6 Foot piece?

so you do have to use a little bit of rubber hose before going into the pvc pipe, 

My rubber hose is just a couple of inches long.  It goes from the breather and then straight up to a PVC piece. 

I just added a chunk of old 5/8 garden hose to the existing hose with an adapter fitting and ran it into the frame rail hole next to the engine and back and exited it out the hole in the frame rail next to the t-case in front of the fuel tank on my 02 let it hang out about 6 inches, worked like a charm for many years, not one single issue in wet icy winters muddy off-road use or any other type of normal daily abuse my rigs see.

I think this was about the first thing I did to my 02 when I bought it after having worked on 2nd gen cummins for quite a few years and seeing the radiators and everything else plugged all the time with oil and dirt.

Cost me nothing from old garbage I pack rat , total time maybe 10 minutes, being a pack rat priceless. :evilgrin:

Beauty was it was totally hidden and unseen.

• Like 1

• Owner

Bill I know got lucky....

There was another gent in the northern states and was travelling into Canada when his extended hose setup kinked shut and the blow by pressure got high enough to blow the tappet gasket out and leave him stranded. He did a similar thing of running in the frame but his happen to kink shut. This is the only reason to avoid using hose of any type and stayed with rigid pipe. Sucked to have to tell this gent he's going to have to call a tow truck and be towed to a local town to have the gasket replaced. 

Nothing to do with luck, I pay attention to what I do. My old hose was stiffer than that, :lmao:  partial crowbar type old hose, no kinking possible with it. Sounds like someone didn't pay attention when routing the hose if it got kinked, not the fault of the hose. :smart:

• Like 1

I've got two... Tappet cover and the original extended down (METAL) with a bend. I can take pics if anyone would like. I'm actually still trying to figure out where I'm going to route the tappet cover.

• Like 1