• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crankcase Vent Modification Pieces

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Where I live with the mountain roads and offroad use. I've manage to spill over 1 full gallon engine oil right into the fan. I've managed to spill about 1/2 gallon panic stopping on the highway for deer. So the whole easy hang in the front will no solve the actual issue. 

The best solution is to pull the 24V tappet cover and put a 12V cover on. Never worry again about it. 

Tried that... blew out the tappet cover gasket. Most here aren't running 70psi of boost though so take that fwiw.

I have my front one extended down as well. I'd like to run it back to where the 12v cover dumps at some point. Also not the dang 12v covers like to leave at least 1 drop every time you stop!

21 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm going to rebuild mine and I'll measure everything out and document it all over again. I just built one for a customer and it turned out perfect. The vent doesn't touch the upper radiator hose. Lined up nice and everything. I've got a few trick like how to get angles set right and glued right. You could build it out of copper and then have it chromed if you really don't like the plastic look.

Thanks Mike I think I will jump in and redo mine too, since I just put in a new radiator, got to keep it clean

• Like 1

• Owner

Simple test is called the tea kettle test. Start the engine and leave it idle. Now unscrew the oil cap and just place it in the hole. If there is too much blow by the cap will dance right out of the hole. Normal blow by it will just lay there. I've seen some where the owner went to unscrew the cap and it was shot out of his hand. That is serve blow by issues and the engine requires compression test and most likely rings. 

• Like 1

Alright I think I'm good. Let the truck idle, unscrewed the oil cap and it just sat there, actually started to thread itself back again lol. 

So a little white smoke at idle is no big deal then? Or at least as long as your oil cap first sky rocket off the engine cover?! Haha

• Owner

The ultimate way is to do a compression test. Then you know exactly the health of each cylinder. Then there is the blow by manometer which will tell you the summation of all blow by and might not detect a bad cylinder. The tea kettle is the simple test. Then just looking to see if it blowing oil. Those are the methods I know...

• Like 1