• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok my 2000 nv5600 just died it has a broke gear and what looks to be broken syncro pieces laying in the bottom, the fluid was full and i was not towing i was in traffic at a light and it locked up, now i have a choice to make do i put $3000 in for i 5600 or convert to a nv4500 if i convert i know ill need the trans and bellhousing,flywheel, clutch and drive shafts. My question is will the 4500 bolt in place and will my tc bolt up and where can i find cheep drive shafts they are hard to find here

Because you have a 2000 the input shaft on the 5600 is the same size as a 4500. That means the flywheel and clutch will work just fine. If you can find a used 4500 it should bolt right into place. The only difference being the transmission mount (4500 is shorter) I THINK the input on the transfer case should be fine. For drivelines look in junk yards, u pull its, craigslist, ebay ect. 

Ok thanks sounds good i think ill be ok on mounting to the cross member my cross member has another set of mount holes in it looks to be for the 4500 of course ill prob have to buy the 4500 mount tho. Will the drive lines work from a gasser. Im pretty sure not but thought id ask. Oh and thanks for the info

• Staff

2000 is a split year on input shafts right? So it may or may not use the same clutch. 

If you do any towing at all I would not go to a NV4500 from a NV5600, but that's just my 0.02. Both the NV4500 and NV5600 are discontinued so I don't see any appeal to the NV4500

If you really don't want to spend the money for a NV5600 get a G56. 

• Like 1

Yeah drive lines will be different. How does the clutch look that's currently in there? If it needs replaced might as well upgrade the input shaft on the nv4500 and replace the clutch accordingly.

But if you figure the cost of replacing or modifying your current setup I am sure you would be better off getting the nv5600 replaced rather than swapping to a nv4500.

Edited by gh0stman

2000 is a split year on input shafts right? So it may or may not use the same clutch. 

If you do any towing at all I would not go to a NV4500 from a NV5600, but that's just my 0.02. Both the NV4500 and NV5600 are discontinued so I don't see any appeal to the NV4500

If you really don't want to spend the money for a NV5600 get a G56. 

The nv5600 with the large input shaft didn't come out until the HO was released. If his truck is not a HO it does not have the larger shaft.

It is a so its the small. My clutch is smoked ( did that tryin to get out of traffic when it locked up) i love the 5600 but ive been hearin horror stories of how the 5600 isnt lasting due to lack of parts plus ive been unable to fond a 5600 that i dont have to up grade every thing to accept the 1 3/8 input shaft

• Staff

I'm not sure why everyone is bent on the 5600. I really like the 4500.... it's cheap, parts are avaliable, and it's pretty dang strong.

Gearing, gearing, and gearing...

If you don't tow much, or only in the flat land, it may not be as big of a deal but here in the mountains having that extra gear is great. 

• Like 1

Gearing, gearing, and gearing...

If you don't tow much, or only in the flat land, it may not be as big of a deal but here in the mountains having that extra gear is great. 

:lol: I'm near Denver I know mountains.

28k+ through the mountains with no issues?? It really isn't that bad, but that's my thoughts.

I'd never put an early 5600 back in anyway.

Edited by TFaoro