• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The time has come to produce the Mopar1973Man High Idle & MPG fooler switches again.

Yea I haven't been letting it idle at normal RPMs, always using either 3/6cyl. Just wasn't sure it was better to get the engine warm as to avoid a cold shut down (real short commute to work) or just do like your saying, start, let run for a bit then go. Its getting colder then normal around these parts 20* this morning, so that combined with a short trip to work has me in limbo of importance.

2 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Yea I haven't been letting it idle at normal RPMs, always using either 3/6cyl. Just wasn't sure it was better to get the engine warm as to avoid a cold shut down (real short commute to work) or just do like your saying, start, let run for a bit then go. Its getting colder then normal around these parts 20* this morning, so that combined with a short trip to work has me in limbo of importance.

I am kinda torn there with the short commute as well.  I usually just shut down cold and once a week take it out for a few more miles to get it warmed up.

5 minutes ago, notlimah said:

That may be what I end up doing as well. There's a slighty longer commute route I can take, it just requires me to leave a little earlier to work, which is even harder! ha!

My main concern is having soot & carbon build up on the valves and chamber, and for condensation to build up in the oil.  I have some bad valve seals/guides that leak some excess oil onto my exhaust valves.  This can coke on the top of the valves, and I the truck always runs better after a longer run at highway speed or up a long hill when it burns it all off.  

In rare occasions, water could condense inside the block when the engine cools down, so it is nice to steam it out once in a while.  A friend of mine commuted 3 miles in his 5.9 Magnum Dakota without getting up to temps for a whole winter.  He ended up losing all his oil pressure and pulled the pan to find the oil pickup covered in a giant block of ice.  This is way less of an issue in the diesels though, since we don't have a vacuum based PCV system.  The dakota had a very agressive pcv/breather system that we don't have, fortunately. We just vent straight to the atmosphere and don't pull in outside air.

• Like 1

• Owner

The only time I use the high idle feature more so is to break the ice or heavy frost off the windshield. Other than that I fire up select MPG and get moving. I rather invest the fuel towards movement than idling trying to create heat. 

Now the other exception is MoparMom if she is going with me the truck has to be warmed up a bit. She really hates to sit in a cold truck for 8-10 miles waiting for heat. I can tolerate it but older folks don't do cold very well. So I'm willing to sacrifice MPG numbers for some comfort for her.  

• Like 1

CSM, that's exactly what I end up doing! I usually only commute MAYBE 5 miles round trip so everyone couple weeks or so I try and take it on a longer trip to get it up to normal operating temp.

Mike, I know exactly what you mean! The boss always trumps MPGs and everything else for that matter!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running mine for maybe a month now and love it! But have ran into a problem; 1- when I was leaving the firehouse I switch it to the 6 cylinder high idled but seems I lost it and it was operating in the 3 cylinder mode?!? I know your thinking i had it switch to that but I triple checked it and even shut the truck off 3 times and it still wouldn't go into the 6 cylinder mode??? 2- When I run the switch in mpg mode I loose my temp gauge? 

What to do???

Thanks, Randy

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

6 cyl shuts off the ect.

Can you pull the switch and verify that it hasn't turned some?

Do you have a live data tool?

What's the ect.?

i can but did you see the pic? I should've taken a pic after the switch was installed because I notched one of those plastic ribs on the right side of the hole I drilled just enough for the connector to fit, there's No way for it to turn. But I will find time to pull that cover off and I will take a pic to show you. 

No data tool

• Owner

Try counting the detents from fully counter clock wise and double check it.

From the left to right there is only 4. OFF, MPG, 6 CYL and 3 CYL.

If you got a live data tool like a ScanGauge II or similar.

• OFF - Should show normal temps both ECT and IAT.
  • MPG - Should change IAT to 143*F
  • 6 CYL - Should change IAT to 26*F and ECT to 123*F
  • 3 CYL - Should only change IAT to 13*F

ECT - Engine Coolant Temperature

IAT - Intake Air Temperature

13 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Try counting the detents from fully counter clock wise and double check it.

From the left to right there is only 4. OFF, MPG, 6 CYL and 3 CYL.

If you got a live data tool like a ScanGauge II or similar.

• OFF - Should show normal temps both ECT and IAT.
  • MPG - Should change IAT to 143*F
  • 6 CYL - Should change IAT to 26*F and ECT to 123*F
  • 3 CYL - Should only change IAT to 13*F

ECT - Engine Coolant Temperature

IAT - Intake Air Temperature

Believe me that I've tried by counting the detents and I turned the truck off and on twice. It acted the same way when it was switched to the 6 cylinder or the 3 cylinder mode. 

No scan tool

The mpg mode shuts the ect off not the 6 cyl. 

I started to not post this but I thought maybe you would want the feedback or maybe it's happened before. The 6 cyl mode has been working for the last week and that another reason I wasn't going to post. The only that seems not right is when I switch it to mpg it still shuts off the etc 

Regardless we will fix the issue, the switch has a 1 year warranty.

Can you pull the switch out and just verify %100 that it hasn't rotated.  

Do you get any codes in any position?  

So on the first click you get ECT that drops off?

second click you get 3 Cylinder?

3rd click does what?

How long did you leave the truck off for between trying another mode?  my ECM seems to remember the last mode selected for 10-15 seconds after the power is turned off to the truck.

I have a switch here that is fully tested so I can get it out to you ASAP, but I will need the old switch back to troubleshoot the issue and make sure we understand the issue incase we run into it again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Regardless we will fix the issue, the switch has a 1 year warranty.

Can you pull the switch out and just verify %100 that it hasn't rotated.  

Do you get any codes in any position?  

So on the first click you get ECT that drops off?

second click you get 3 Cylinder?

3rd click does what?

How long did you leave the truck off for between trying another mode?  my ECM seems to remember the last mode selected for 10-15 seconds after the power is turned off to the truck.

I have a switch here that is fully tested so I can get it out to you ASAP, but I will need the old switch back to troubleshoot the issue and make sure we understand the issue incase we run into it again.

I just got home from working a 48hr shift at the firehouse and go back in the morn (Monday morn) for my regular 24hr shift. I'll try my best to take the cover off to check. My usual schedule is 24hr on and 48hr off which I do my electrical business!

No codes!

1st click is mpg which is the one that takes out the ECT. But this morn it Work OK! So your guess is as good as mine!

2nd click is 6 cyl mode. 3rd click is 3 cyl mode. BUT when it screwed up the 2nd & 3rd click Both made it go in 3 cyl high idle mode! When that happened I Only shut the truck off for less than 15 sec. 

It seems to be all working now But I'll still check. I have No Idea if it will do it again or not......... But then again it may in the next month! Idk

I can give you my contact number to talk or text

• Like 2