• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mopar1973Man's Crankcase Vent Modification

Have you done Mopar1973Man's crankcase vent mod?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Have you done Mopar1973Man's crankcase vent mod?

• Yes...got it installed already.
    • Not yet but plan to do it.
    • Not doing it.
    • Don't know what it is.

22 degrees is the fluid level to the vent. anything past that and it will puke. I went down a 55-50 deg slope and i lost almost a gallon of oil before the mod. luckily i had my edge monitor scream at me and shutdown at 10psi oil. the amount i lost cause the engine to lose prime for a second and lost pressure but thankfully not under load. the next day i did the mod and never had a problem since.

Good to know. Maybe I'll stop by the hardware store on the way home.

• Owner

Same occured for me to with the stock breather drain nearly a full gallon of oil over the fan and radiator before I got to level ground. Then had to catch a ride with my friend back off the hill 40 miles to get a full gallon of oil. Since then I travelled nearly 200K on the clock and not had a oil spill since the mod.I've actual considered trying to retro-fit a 12V tappet cover on and see about get rid of the whole vent pipe all together... But never got any answer if the 12V tappet cover would fit right. :shrug:

I've actual considered trying to retro-fit a 12V tappet cover on and see about get rid of the whole vent pipe all together... But never got any answer if the 12V tappet cover would fit right. :shrug:

Its been done I know that. I was thinking about doing it too :)

Same occured for me to with the stock breather drain nearly a full gallon of oil over the fan and radiator before I got to level ground. Then had to catch a ride with my friend back off the hill 40 miles to get a full gallon of oil. Since then I travelled nearly 200K on the clock and not had a oil spill since the mod. I've actual considered trying to retro-fit a 12V tappet cover on and see about get rid of the whole vent pipe all together... But never got any answer if the 12V tappet cover would fit right. :shrug:

Not a bad idea. I cant imagine the 12v cover not fitting the 24v but others may know better. As for the vent tube, my biggest concern was IF the oil did make it into the PVC line then how long would it take before internal pressures caused seal problems if leveling out wasn't soon enough. Other than that, I think its a great idea and I'm going to try it as soon as I get a moment to mess with it.

• Owner

Actually there is no seal problem but it might start pushing oil up and out the pipe if left on a slope long enough idling. More or less a gurgling type action the oil would be pushed up from the air pressure till air could pass again. So if you actually got the angle steep enough you still can push oil out but the thing is typically you don't stop on a steep slope like that eaving it idle for long periods. Not safe for the engine at any rate being the oil pickup is at the rear of the engine. More or less get to the slope to flater ground then stop just safer for you and the truck both.:whistle:

Actually there is no seal problem but it might start pushing oil up and out the pipe if left on a slope long enough idling. More or less a gurgling type action the oil would be pushed up from the air pressure till air could pass again. So if you actually got the angle steep enough you still can push oil out but the thing is typically you don't stop on a steep slope like that eaving it idle for long periods. Not safe for the engine at any rate being the oil pickup is at the rear of the engine. More or less get to the slope to flater ground then stop just safer for you and the truck both.:whistle:

"Not safe for the engine at any rate being the oil pickup is at the rear of the engine.", is an interesting consideration. Saying that, I wonder if anyone knows what is the maximum decent angle one could drive before the pickup was no longer in oil?.....given oil level was normal and the engine vent was upgraded as not to allow oil to puke out.

The blowby will find a way out... Be it the crank seal, dipstick tube (yes it will shoot the dipstick out) or other means. That pressure cannot be contained and IF all things are somehow sealed with cement, it will push the oil out of the blowby tube until it can breathe. If you happen to be pointing straight down, it will push every last drop of oil out. Though there are usually easier routes.. Mine has a habit of pushing the dipstick out an inch since it's easy to push out and with however many miles I have, there is a good amount of blowby.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

Heater hose seems to last forever whereas PVC can break down when temps fluctuate a lot.

Actually your backwards. The heater hose will break down and get soft and kink shut then the crankcase pressure will build up and blow out gaskets and crank seals. This why the PVC pipe idea came into design. Actually PVC will last a very long time as long as it out of direct sunlight. The UV rays is what breaks down the plastics. :whistle:

• 1 month later...

So, does the mod get in the way of your fuel lines if you need to crack the lines if you run out of fuel?

No - just pull to side. IF you have to or want to its simple - just get underneath and screw the downpipe part away then puu front top engin part off Goes back together same way - around 5 minutes each way