• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HELP!! bad alternator or APPS??

• Owner

On 1/5/2016 at 10:51 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Just cheap reman'ed alternators and lots of cheap China made parts.

Lol thats what im hoping.  I try explaining to people that the alternator is garbage and they say ive never heard of this withany vehicle in my life.  And i tell them to talk to a 24valve owner lol

• 3 months later...

Well im bring this thread back up.  Cause ive changed my alternator 7 times since this issue.  Each time i do it the truck runs great no issues then after exactly a week my issue comes right back.  What could be causing my alternators to fail prematurely like this and cause this a/c noise.  Its very frustrating,  and 4 of these alternators were brand new not refurbs.  Im also getting a low voltage apps code.  Could my issue be my apps and when im hooking my batteries back up and resetting my apps its fixing it temporarily? 

Gotta love these old trucks.

Right now I have

1. a PCM that is locking the TC all the time, I don't have time to dig into it right now so I am driving my auto like a manual.

2. ABS nad brake light on all of the sudden

3. ball joints that are as loose as bells, replaced them 10k ago

3. some random knock in the front end....... 

• Staff
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:00 AM, Me78569 said:

Think of it this way,

Do you still use a computer that was built in 1998 and is running windows 98?    You are driving a truck that is VERY VERY VERY old in computer terms.

Nick Im glad for my old stuff. It seems to be less problematic.

Think of this new stuff... automated emergency braking and Cops can stop your rig from running in a chase. 

3 hours ago, ruedger455 said:

Could there be something thats causing the premature failure of these alternators?

Yes some come with a bad diode right out of the box and then if you accidently cross wires or jump start someone the wrong way, but, I think the Alt builders are at fault too for building less quality inside them.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Never meant to say the old stuff is bad, just that it is, well old in computer terms so we cannot expect it to work without issues from time to time.  

for what they had to work with in 1997-8 the vp44 system is actually REALLY awesome.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2016 at 7:50 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Don't think Ford and Chevy's don't have the same problem they do. The manifest in different problems. Most don't check the alternator for AC noise issues concerning electronic failures.

Funny you say that, when I got parts for my alternator at local Electric place, first thing he told me is if it's a wired electrical problem we always check ac voltage before going any further. Now this is a guy that knows about it, but like you mentioned most people don't and just by pure luck after changing everything and the alternator, problem goes away. And of course if you buy an alternator at part store chances are it's not going to last. Reason it wasn't a big deal back in a day not only quality was better but cars didn't have all these electronics that so easy effected by ac noise.

On 4/11/2016 at 11:37 AM, Me78569 said:

Gotta love these old trucks.

Right now I have

1. a PCM that is locking the TC all the time, I don't have time to dig into it right now so I am driving my auto like a manual.

2. ABS nad brake light on all of the sudden

3. ball joints that are as loose as bells, replaced them 10k ago

3. some random knock in the front end....... 

So what ball joints not to buy or I should say which ones did you get 10k ago? I just bought a set of original cpicer joints but haven't put them in yet, might give it another year or two as I don't hardly drive it. Just use it when I need it. 

• Staff
8 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Never meant to say the old stuff is bad, just that it is, well old in computer terms so we cannot expect it to work without issues from time to time.  

for what they had to work with in 1997-8 the vp44 system is actually REALLY awesome.

You know the hackers will figure out a way to shut your car down the same way police will get control. I know it's in the planning right now.

And what would I do if I couldn't put 2 stroke in my truck anymore?:ahhh:

Ok guys got something else for you.  When i bought the truckit came woth a smarty tuner and i never used it and assumed that the previous owner took it back to stock tune.  Well he didnt.  I plugged it in and it was vin locked to my truck etc.  So i started fiddling with it and put the truck back to stock from tune #3 and then looked at the codes my truck had low voltage apps and after i looked at it,  the codes cleared and i went for a drive and no more apps code and no more tc lock up issues.  Could my smarty have thrown the 1693 code or whatever it was along withthe 0122 apps code?

Update: Scratch that the codes returned with no smarty.  

Edited by ruedger455