• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another one learn the cold truth of a fuel pressure gauge

• Owner

I got a call from a local gent that I done work for in the past. I replaced his lift pump and injection pump on his 1999 Dodge Ram. He called up today and told me of his tale of limping to New meadows and having the truck die on him. What he described was low fuel pressure with weak power. I told him to come and pick me up and we would roll out and look it over. After checking over the basic stuff I'm not hearing the Raptor lift pump running. I opened a test port and purged the system and it barely crawled up to 5 PSI. Ok. So I cranked up the regulator and got it up to 20 PSI for now to get it home. It last about 2 block and got weak again. Hmmm... Test gauge again... Fired it up and it ran for about 1 minute and the lift pump died 0 PSI. So we shut down. I knew I had a spare lift pump at home. So ran 20 miles back home grab a few odds and ends and that stock new lift pump. (Thanks to Bry1216)So ran back out and cobbled it together again using some of the Raptor plumbing and the stock. Got him up and running. But during those 2 trip back in forth I got plenty of time to school him up on why a fuel pressure gauge. He's now sold on the idea.

Maybe we'll be lucky to see him show up as a member here. I told him to join up and talk with the rest of the crew here.

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome back. I've had my head down in books for school for the last 2-3 years. I just graduated last month and have a job lined up. So I will finally have the money to do the needed work to my truck. And there is a list I love my truck, but sometimes wonder if I should be doing this. But If I'm going to keep it, I want it dependable.

While I'm in here, I'm getting used to the new site design. How is the best way to search the site? Or is there an organization style that I'm not seeing?

Btw, I have a '99 and it is stock other than the BHAF.

Off to look up FASS pumps...

13 minutes ago, jamman said:

Thanks for the welcome back. I've had my head down in books for school for the last 2-3 years. I just graduated last month and have a job lined up. So I will finally have the money to do the needed work to my truck. And there is a list I love my truck, but sometimes wonder if I should be doing this. But If I'm going to keep it, I want it dependable.

While I'm in here, I'm getting used to the new site design. How is the best way to search the site? Or is there an organization style that I'm not seeing?

Btw, I have a '99 and it is stock other than the BHAF.

Off to look up FASS pumps...

You might take a look at fuel boss also,then you can keep your stock pump also & it should last long long time. I really like mine, works good.

I'm about to be a COTA. Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant. We help people gain/regain independence in the jobs/occupations of living ranging from basic self care to even assisting them get back to work and dealing with ergonomics. Our focus isn't just rehab, but rehab focused on things that are important to the person. It is a growing field and has a HUGE domain, meaning we really can help in most situations whether it is disease, physical injury, developmental issues, etc.  AOTA, the governing organization for Occupational Therapy defines it as " Occupational therapy is the only profession that helps people across the lifespan to do the things they want and need to do through the therapeutic use of daily activities (occupations). Occupational therapy practitioners enable people of all ages to live life to its fullest by helping them promote health, and prevent—or live better with—injury, illness, or disability.  - See more at: http://www.aota.org/conference-events/otmonth/what-is-ot.aspx#sthash.7Q8FeEJC.dpuf "

Anyway..... I had my truck from my construction background. I love the beast. Maybe I need to make a thread about my truck and the things I do to it. I need to work on the lighting, the fuel pump, gauges, etc. But I just realized I am hijacking the original post. MY APOLOGIES!!!!

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that I recommend the Fuel Boss as well! You can run it with no electric pump at all too. That said, you definitely do not want to have the Fuel Boss without a pressure gauge. Just incase you have trouble with the bypass valve at first. :-)

Edited by leathermaneod
  • Like 1

highly recommend fuel boss. its mechanical and increases psi when more power is put to engine. the belts are $15 each (if they ever break) and ive had mine on for well over 15,000-20,000 miles and no issues so far. i dont worry about fuel psi anymore. yes i have a gauge lol

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR
  • Like 1

• Staff

I 3ed the Fuel Boss.  After going through 3 electric fuel pumps ( 1 stock and 2 'campaign' pumps ) and reading about one brand or another of electric pump being good and then not good I went with the mechanical Fuel Boss. I have no more low fuel pressure at WOT just 20psi.  One thing though, you will have a code of p0230 fuel pump primary control circuit malfunction due to not having an electric fuel pump running.  If you live in a state like I do that does emission tests on diesels having a code in the ECM will fail you.  There is a work around for this problem.   Mopar1973Man said on another forum to "Hook up a AirDog/FASS relay and the code will vanish."  I'm trying to figure out where to hook up the relay.

• Like 1

A fuel pressure gauge is a must! Anyone I ever run into that drives one of these trucks that doesn't have one gives me the serious cringe face! I made the same mistake when I first got mine, finally hooked up gauges only to find out that I had 0psi, so needless to say, lift pump was replaced. Anyways, glad you got things sorted out and welcome (back) to the forums!