• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift Pump/ Fuel Supply Question

• Staff
19 hours ago, dripley said:

you need one more thing to do. Mike might be right. Take the F'ing day off and forget about the truck, job, or what ever. Get a 12 pack and polish your toe nails with a belt sander. That will take your mind off some crap.

Dave, Don't understand, are you telling me to stop hijacking the thread or something? Do I detect a note of Anger/ tired of my posts? Not like the usual Dave I know????:think:

Hope I didn't say something to make you mad... I see you as a friend nothing else.

Edited by JAG1

15 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Dave, Don't understand, are you telling me to stop hijacking the thread or something? Do I detect a note of Anger/ tired of my posts? Not like the usual Dave I know????:think:

Hope I didn't say something to make you mad... I see you as a friend nothing else.

No anger here. Just telling you the same thing I have been told before. Take a day for yourself and forget about all the crap and clear you head if you need it. I do it on the golf course as often as I can. For me that is 4 or 5 hours that I just forget about everything but the game. Helps me clear my mind. I sometimes get so wrapped up in a job that runs my life and the break is nice.

I went back a re read the above and I guess it came across a little strong. I apologize for that. Please keep posting here or anywhere. I meant no disrespect. And by all means, be careful with the belt sander.

• Staff

That's Ok when/ if we finally do meet... I'll use the sander on yer head :poke::) Just kiddin' Bud.

Did I hurt your feelings about your forgetery being so strong over the L/P power? I was hoping to get laughs on that one is all Boss.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
On 1/29/2016 at 6:38 AM, eddielee said:

I was clear about it and it may have been the year that sent him over the edge, not sure.

Mine is a 1999, they may do a 2000, or 2001-02. Not sure, didn't ask

Just odd the last time I was there in person they told me the did do Cummins ECM for the Dodge Rams. Just odd to here a different story.

Still in all the lift pump circuit can be repaired...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just odd the last time I was there in person they told me the did do Cummins ECM for the Dodge Rams. Just odd to here a different story.

Are you saying repaired without finding a new ECM?

kind of like doing the voltage regulator mod?

Edited by JAG1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I think eddielee`s  guess that they may have been referring to 95.5- 99 ecm`s is a good one . What I heard from many , about problems re-flashing them and then having problems and adding ecm programers . Although I heard its not all of them , % unknown , you just take your chances . If that's true it speaks to modualmasters knowledge and ethics .But maybe they should be informed you can re-flash a newer one to work on those years , so they don't leave some owners hanging

Just went out in the snow and started my truck this morning , and for the first time had high idle , nice . a by product of the updated files of the Smarty

What would be nice is for some really knowledgeable person to come up with a add on box that had a 2 sec LP on , 25 sec LP bump  on , and LP defeat when the truck shuts off , that could be wired into a relayed circuit and run on a new ignition on wire . For all the folks that have the ecm LP circuit fail

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Problem is that it would be rather expensive building an stand alone controller that can read OBDII data for this information for tach signal.

Yea it would have to be someone trying to solve there own problem

Probably wrong , and just thinking  , but 2 second key on might be enabled by fuse 9 - ignition  switch on , and a timer;  25 sec starter bump by either amp drop or by physically tying into starter some way ,and timer  ; disable power to LP maybe by crank or cam sensor signal and a relay, directly tapping in leaving it still hooked to ecm - I know that's 5 volt..     But just thinking...... because I already fixed my truck - this time anyway

Probably shouldn't have said that , might have jinxed myself 

Hope the OP is having some luck with his truck

• 9 months later...

I've been pondering an Arduino controlled setup for my lift pump for some time.

Since I still have the output from the ECM I thought about doing the following:

Using a motor shield  and 2 pressure sensors (pre and post filter) to supply the correct fuel pressure for the different situations.

For the engine running I would like to have 15 psi as a baseline, and increase the pressure for the product of LoadXRPM to insure correct filling of the pump under all running conditions.

For cranking the pressurre should stay around 7 psi.

Since my motor shield can drive two motors at 20 amps, I thought about using it for the fuel heater too. (Does anybody know about the power draw and cold resistance of the heater?)

I think this would be elegant for cold starts too, just reduce the fuel flow until the heater can get nice and warm fuel to the IP at idle, this should reduce white smoke and cold knock considerably. (And could also be used for folks running vegetable oil)

If the fuel temperature is starting to get up to a point where cooling the IP is desired, the pressure should be raised to increase the amount of fuel going through the overflow valve.

The two pressure sensors should give a god indication of the dirt load in the fuel filter and also as a sanity check to avoid wrong fuel pressure due to a sensor malfunction.

The main reason for this project is that there are some good fuel pumps available on my side of the pond, but they are for much higher volumes and pressures than needed for the truck.

Naturally I could use a pressure regulator and return a lot of fuel into the tank, but that is not elegant.

At the moment I am collecting some sensors etc, and starting out on the programming.

If anybody here has already done or thought about that I would like to see and discuss the code, and the hardware.

Cheers!

AlpineRAM

(As also on www.dieseltruckresource.com and www.advrider.com)