• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Did injectors and valve adjustment

I decided to upgrade my injectors and while in there adjust the valves. Thanks moparman... for the write-ups! BIG help! Other than breaking the breather nipple.. everything went smoothly. Much easier than I anticipated. Only issue I really had... was getting a torque wrench on the back most fuel line nut.. so I just guestimated with a regular wrench. Also decided to do a grid delete and have my intake and valve cover powder coated. 

Throughout the whole process.. I was so nervous that when I finished it wasn't going to start or run as well as it did before I stuck my hands in there. Well... it took around 4 times cranking before I heard it turn over... music to my ears :-)  It coughed just a couple times.. then smoothed out and was purring like a kitten. I installed the valve cover and intake a couple hours later and took it for a spin.. runs great. yay!!

Thanks again for the info.............

Pic of valve cover and intake

T0TB6iZl.jpg

BTW.. One of the connector tubes looked funky on one side... can someone tell me why or what the cause is/was? I wire brushed and reinstalled...

19e0kJJl.jpg

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie
  • Like 2

Questions...

I still don't understand the fueling part of the Edge and how/why you would use each setting. I just turn it down til it doesn't smoke much at all under a heavy acceleration. That setting was 5/4 before the injectors.. In the limited drive time I've had since installing the 50s.. it seemed 5/3 was good. Does this seem about right? Only one setting?

Another thing.. I have what I  guess you'd call a sock over my air filter. I'm pretty sure it is a little restrictive because when I put it on a couple months ago the turbo whistle quieted down a bit. Should I remove it? How will it effect things.. like boost? I've noticed that my boost is a little higher with the new injectors... even under light acceleration. If I take off the sock will it drop a little due to more air getting in there?

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

2 minutes ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Questions...

I still don't understand the fueling part of the Edge and how/why you would use each setting. I just turn it down til it doesn't smoke much at all under a heavy acceleration. That setting was 5/4 before the injectors.. In the limited drive time I've had since installing the 50s.. it seemed 5/3 was good. Does this seem about right? Only one setting?

Another thing.. I have what I  guess you'd call a sock over my air filter. I'm pretty sure it is a little restrictive because when I put it on a couple months ago the turbo whistle quieted down a bit. Should I remove it? How will it effect things.. like boost? I've noticed that my boost is a little higher with the new injectors... even under light acceleration. If I take off the sock will it drop a little due to more air getting in there?

Good to see you over here :) 

Going from 5/4 to 5/3 basically makes the edge wait until there is more boost before fueling harder. This makes sense because the injectors will smoke more than the stock ones until the boost builds. Does that make sense?? If not what doesn't make sense? We can try to explain it better.

By "sock" do you mean pre-filter? If yes, I REALLY like them!! Keeps all of the big junk from getting stuck in the pleats of the filter. I run one on my twins and didn't notice a difference from not having one.

If the pre-filter is a restriction, you would likely see higher boost numbers because more air is making it into the turbo. I don't think their cons outweigh the pros though.

• Like 1

It makes sense but looking at the chart... 

1 33% of Fuel is supplied until 20 PSI of Boost then 100% is supplied
2 50% of Fuel is supplied until 15 PSI of Boost then 100% is supplied
3 67% of Fuel is supplied until 10 PSI of Boost then 100% is supplied
4 adds less fuel than Sub-level 5
5 adds the most fuel at low boost

Under what circumstances would you need #1 versus #3 ?

• Owner

Bigger the injectors the more you drop to lower sublevels to control smoke. Like my +50HP require sublevel 3 to be smoke free. Someone like TFaoro would be more like a sublevel 2 because of running larger injectors. I will use Sublevel 1 in the dead of winter to keep traction on slick roads. Keeps the turbo from lighting up and getting squirrelly.

Okay... that makes sense. So it was designed to take into consideration different size injectors and turbo.. 

Recommended setting is 4x4 or 5x5. Reason being is that most of you every day driving on city streets and highways you will never be able to keep the boost above 10 PSI. That means once the Edge falls in de-fuel mode you've lost you time advancement and any kind of fuel enhancement. The de-fuel mode is a de-fuel stock mode which you want to avoid. De-fuel mode was designed for people that have a large turbo and/or large injectors and it gives them a way to control smoke till the turbo spools up.

Looking at the above statement... Is this aimed towards folks with stock or small injectors? Should I use 4/4 instead of 5/3 for driving around town? 

Each truck is different and each driver is different.  The first number should only alter total power, the second will choose how much fuel under the curve to add. 

I would suggest you spend sometime driving in each mode and choose what you like.  I am guessing you will like 5x3 or similar.

injectors have a similar effect to running a higher sublevel, in terms of smoke output.  I used to run around with my quad turned up, now days I have a much different tune that keeps the low end fueling down in order to keep the smoke down and prevent flooding the turbo.

• Owner
1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

injectors have a similar effect to running a higher sublevel, in terms of smoke output.  I used to run around with my quad turned up, now days I have a much different tune that keeps the low end fueling down in order to keep the smoke down and prevent flooding the turbo.

Same here...

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Each truck is different and each driver is different.

Don't get me wrong if I wanted I could turn up to 5x5 and still drive smokeless but it up to my right foot not to get aggressive on the throttle during low boost. I ran that way for years. But it's much easier to have the Edge set for defueling for you. What I get is a small lag time till 10 PSI is built and BAM! The power is on and the truck is pulling like a crazy mule. 

Okay... I went with 50s for a little more umph and to hopefully gain a mile or two per gallon. Had been getting 14-15 (which I think sux)... so we'll see what happens with these injectors. From what I've read.. I want to keep my boost as low as possible.. correct? I do keep it below 10 most of the time and below 5 a good bit.

So the wiretap connects to the fueling solenoid in the VP44.  I am GUESSING, again GUESSING, that since you check for 12v when the truck has power but not turned on for the wiretap, that grounding the solenoid wire holds the solenoid open and thus controls the amount of fuel is allowed to be sent to the injectors.  

Now what the Edge / quad / tst does is alter how long the solenoid is held open by grounding the wiretap for a prolonged period ( milliseconds) once it senses the ecm ground the wire.  This makes the solenoid hold open for longer than the ecm will allow. 

IE so if the ecm says " ground wiretap for 600 ms" , then the edge goes "well lets ground the wiretap for an addition 600 ms on top of that" thus giving us 1200 ms of fueling.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

So the wiretap connects to the fueling solenoid in the VP44.  I am GUESSING, again GUESSING, that since you check for 12v when the truck has power but not turned on for the wiretap, that grounding the solenoid wire holds the solenoid open and thus controls the amount of fuel is allowed to be sent to the injectors.  

Now what the Edge / quad / tst does is alter how long the solenoid is held open by grounding the wiretap for a prolonged period ( milliseconds) once it senses the ecm ground the wire.  This makes the solenoid hold open for longer than the ecm will allow. 

IE so if the ecm says " ground wiretap for 600 ms" , then the edge goes "well lets ground the wiretap for an addition 600 ms on top of that" thus giving us 1200 ms of fueling.

Lol.. I'm guessing the previous owner checked for 12v.. I bought it this way. So how does the additional 600 ms change things? Does it increase hp or no? What will be the noticeable difference between an untapped and tapped?