• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What's This Going On???

dorkweed

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen a charge light on my 03.  I notice the grid heaters cycling by the lights dimming momentarily   immediately after cold startup, but after a couple of minutes the alternator kicks in and after that I don`t notice any voltage fluctuations or change in engine tone.

Just wondering if your newer alternator has a lower amp output than the original??  

• Staff
3 hours ago, angus said:

I have never seen a charge light on my 03.  I notice the grid heaters cycling by the lights dimming momentarily   immediately after cold startup, but after a couple of minutes the alternator kicks in and after that I don`t notice any voltage fluctuations or change in engine tone.

Just wondering if your newer alternator has a lower amp output than the original??  

Your voltmeter doesn't swing, or show 12.xx V during the first 2 minutes?

28 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Your voltmeter doesn't swing, or show 12.xx V during the first 2 minutes?

Yeah, I haven`t really watched the meter, but I`m sure when the lights are dimming prior to the alternator engaging there is some voltage fluctuation.  Once the alternator picks up it is virtually unnoticeable.  never seen a charge light come on??

18 hours ago, angus said:

Yeah, I haven`t really watched the meter, but I`m sure when the lights are dimming prior to the alternator engaging there is some voltage fluctuation.  Once the alternator picks up it is virtually unnoticeable.  never seen a charge light come on??

Somewhere in this thread I thought a reference to an idiot light, or charge light was made??? I normally let my truck run a few mins on cold mornings,, I have been in a hurry and heard the chime go off before I got out of the drive way, but did not catch an ABS, or any warning lights flash. This is probably just be an anomaly that happens under certain circumstances. 

• 2 weeks later...

my brothers truck when the voltage gauge drops low below 14 it puffs white smoke and idles rough once it kicks back up over 14 its fine runs like there was nothing wrong. Then my truck started doing it also. But has not done ever since I installed my brake controller for the trailer.  

• Like 1

On March 23, 2016 at 4:27 PM, ADawg said:

my brothers truck when the voltage gauge drops low below 14 it puffs white smoke and idles rough once it kicks back up over 14 its fine runs like there was nothing wrong. Then my truck started doing it also. But has not done ever since I installed my brake controller for the trailer.  

Weird!!???

• Staff
On 3/23/2016 at 3:27 PM, ADawg said:

That sounds like weak batteries and/or alternator. 

The brake controller is weird thou! Have you unplugged it to see if the problem returns? It's more than likely just a coincidence. 

Edited by AH64ID