• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Vibration

• Staff

Yeah only about 36% of my miles are towing over the last 3-4 years. 100% this week. I've been hauling road mix to build a side driveway and shop. 12K empty to the gravel pit and 24-26K GCW home. These trucks handle weight so nice! It's also amazing how effortlessly they can move 25K at 65 mph when it's a dump trailer vs a travel trailer. 

That at being said the time for incompete combustion is at low rpm and low load, especially on a cold engine. So idling or very high fuel efficiency (50mpg type downhill). Your diesel would still burn and get the fuel economy but the 2-stroke may not and you would get deposits. This is very common on 2-stroke engines, just look at what happens to spark plugs when they aren't ran with a heavy load. Granted 50:1 is a lot heavier concentration the oil will still react the same way. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Owner
12 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Think about it. There is a very very small percentage of people who use additive, and even smaller who use 2-stroke. Based on the doom and gloom on this website everyone who doesn't should have a failed pump, yet thst simply isn't the case. 

All I can say is when a name like Bosch makes a test at least is not Doom and Gloom. It real. Even Bosch states that US 520 HFRR fuel is too low in lubricity. Need to be minimum of 450 HFRR or lower. I could understand the statement if it was just a independent shop or delaer stating this but when Bosch does this kind of test and publish the findings... I have to say it best to error on the side of safety.

1hcaat.jpg

2irkyva.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I've been running two stroke fairly reliably for the past couple years.  However, I do recall  a few years ago, CajFlynn said he never ran the stuff in his trucks.  he just replaced the VP every 150k or so. Makes me wonder if the fuel at 90% of the pumps is significantly better than Bosch's worst case.  

• Staff

AH, I stick with the Bosch testing that presents itself with evidence. Have you seen any testing on what you are using?

Also my 12 valve around 450 K miles on same engine, being that the engine is a bit more basic I think sends a louder message that it responds well to adding the two stroke, more power, better bottom end torque, better mileage. The engine simply comes alive when adding it.

• Staff

No one is arguing Bosch's information. Minimum HFRR is 520 in the US, not 650. Numbers mean things. 

The simple fact of the matter is that fuel isn't that dry. If it was people would be dropping VP44's left and right. 

Most VP44 trucks run the stock lift pump and fuel without additives... and they get plenty of miles out of them. 

I am also not saying lubricity isn't a bad thing, just saying I don't think 2 stroke is the proper way to increase lubricity. 

I need to try and find the test from a few threads ago that shows 2 stoke isn't that great. I don't recall the thread topic but I do recall a bunch of believers discounting it.

6 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

AH, I stick with the Bosch testing that presents itself with evidence. Have you seen any testing on what you are using?

Where is this Bosch testing of 2-stroke as a diesel lubricity improver?

Remember.. this is about 2 stroke as a lubricity improver and not about lubricity improving in general. 

I do feel that diesel out of the pump is adequate for a long life; however, I do still put an additive it for a little more. I don't really feel it will increase the life that much but I like some of the other benefits as well. 

I've seen a test with Amsoil and it did improve it; however, that same test said 2-stroke was a huge improver and the recent 2-stroke test was the opposite. 

Lubricity is just one part of the additive I run. I also know that it's an additive designed for diesel fuel. 

6 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Also my 12 valve around 450 K miles on same engine, being that the engine is a bit more basic I think sends a louder message that it responds well to adding the two stroke, more power, better bottom end torque, better mileage. The engine simply comes alive when adding it.

Have you done a dyno with and without it?

I would be curious to see the results. Much like the dyno with and without Cetane booster. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Staff

Yes there are test results using two stroke in diesel fuel. The test compares several diesel additives with 2 stroke results up near the top in desirability and well within the Bosch specs. OptiLube is at the top for the lowest scoring in the test.

I have not dynoed the 12 valve. It responds very noticeably with the 2 cycle and I like saving money for travels as much as possible.

• Staff

I just filled up.. 60.4% towing miles this calendar year :whistle:

On 3/27/2016 at 8:07 PM, JAG1 said:

Yes there are test results using two stroke in diesel fuel. The test compares several diesel additives with 2 stroke results up near the top in desirability and well within the Bosch specs. OptiLube is at the top for the lowest scoring in the test.

That's the older test right? It's not a Bosch test like you stated, at least not that I have seen. 

The newer test with 2-stroke shows that it might not be what everyone thinks it is. It shows an increase in HFRR on 2/3 of the fuel tested.. makes you wonder what happened to the 3rd, as well as a potential cetane increase (not decrease like Michael has been telling us for years), and it shows severe fouling like I mentioned earlier.  

As far as power...

• Engine test results show that a 200:1 blend of 2-stroke oil in diesel results in a 2% loss of engine power in a 16 hour test due to injector fouling, a risk that would apply to any common rail diesel engine, but could also worsen fouling in older engines.
Edited by AH64ID

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

I just filled up.. 60.4% towing miles this calendar year :whistle:

That's the older test right? It's not a Bosch test like you stated, at least not that I have seen. 

The newer test with 2-stroke shows that it might not be what everyone thinks it is. It shows an increase in HFRR on 2/3 of the fuel tested.. makes you wonder what happened to the 3rd, as well as a potential cetane increase (not decrease like Michael has been telling us for years), and it shows severe fouling like I mentioned earlier.  

As far as power...

• Engine test results show that a 200:1 blend of 2-stroke oil in diesel results in a 2% loss of engine power in a 16 hour test due to injector fouling, a risk that would apply to any common rail diesel engine, but could also worsen fouling in older engines.

I running at 128/1........................for years........................