• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

UDC tuning for vp trucks!!??

39 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've heard the rumor a long time ago. Still waiting for it to come out. :popcorn:

Well at least they are still talking about it, and recently since its dated March 16th. 

29 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I've been watching the pro stuff for awhile now.

Interesting to say the least.  Might be worth going with a smarty and larger injectors to make up for the lack of wiretap.

Hell it would make me sell my edge jwa and buy a smarty touch

• Owner
5 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I'll believe it when I see it. I've had this discussion with Bob Wagner many times and have gotten the same result every time. It would be cool, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

6 hours ago, Jbolduc said:

Well at least they are still talking about it, and recently since its dated March 16th. 

Hell it would make me sell my edge jwa and buy a smarty touch

LOL. They been talking about if for 3-4 years now. I gave up waiting for it long time ago.

I won't be holding my breath, but I can say that smarty has made a huge step towards the "new big thing for vp guys"  before there was no proof that they could do any of that, 

However this pro working for the new truck means they have done most of the leg work to make this happen across the board.  look at the last couple months, Smarty touch ( same unit across the board), now this.  It is create they were working towards something.

as for how much of the ecm will be unlocked, time will only tell.  

Edited by Me78569

It will still be limited to 65 hp, but but but if we have the ability to actually custom tune there is no reason to not just run 200 hp injectors and the smarty vs 50 hp injectors and a wiretap.    You should be able to make it more smoke free and better to drive.  

Really it all depends on how much tuning is open to us.   Like I said on the phone the pro stuff really looks VERY similar to the stuff Ed was working on.  If that is the case, hopefully, again not holding my breath, we will have access to timing and fueling tables.  

• Owner

(Speaking strictly 24V programmers and tuners here)

$865.00 for Smarty Touch... Still only a 65 HP tuner. Just add a fancy touch screen and gauges.

$649.00 for Smarty Programmer... vStill only a 65 HP tuner.

$559.20 for Edge Comp 120 HP tuner...

$597.81 for Quadzilla Adrenaline (iQuad) 180 HP tuner...

Hmmm... :think: So what would be so great about tuning is it still limted to 65 HP and going to most likely be high in prices vs. modules that produce way more power. Stacking... Just stacking cost too.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I am not arguing that the hp from the tuner itself is really not impressive, but being able to tune the ecm maps with larger injectors would likely give you the same results as a wire tap, without voiding warranties, smoother power, and less smoke.  

Again this all depends %100 on how much the smarty can do for our trucks, if it is just a on the fly of what the smart does right now, then not worth it.    If it opens up the maps like Ed was working on then it would be %100 worth it. 

After all of that would it be worth it for the cost to do all of that?  No idea, I am curious without a doubt.  If they can truly on the fly write values to our ecm then that is pretty cool and that opens up a world of things in the future.

Not arguing that, but if they give us the tools to change that in the ecm itself then I am listening....

How about revs?  the ecm is what limits revs. the VP44 can spin at 2400 rpm and still fuel according to bosch, so in theory you could turn over 4800 rpm if the fueling maps in the ecm allowed for it.......

pipedream? maybe but I am curious.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

I know I'm keeping an eye on it. A guy I know that works at banghart diesel in Nebraska is the one that posted this on Facebook and he says the owner of mads/smarty has a vp truck that has been tuned for years but just hasn't released it 

image.png

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Jbolduc said:

he says the owner of mads/smarty has a vp truck that has been tuned for years but just hasn't released it 

Exactly the same story I've heard too. At the same time this came out years ago EFI Live announced they will not produce a EFI Live programmer for the 24V truck because they are just too old. So everyone waited on bated breathe for Smarty to release UDC programmer for the 24V.

Looking at the CR Engine Smarty its impressive tuner.

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Exactly the same story I've heard too. At the same time this came out years ago EFI Live announced they will not produce a EFI Live programmer for the 24V truck because they are just too old. So everyone waited on bated breathe for Smarty to release UDC programmer for the 24V.

Looking at the CR Engine Smarty its impressive tuner.

According to the letter on the mads website they are releasing UDC tuning for all years cummins except the 12 valve of course but I guess we continue to wait and see

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png