• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pyrometers install

Thanks for the advice dripley! I think I am going to move it. The more we are talking about it the easier it's sounding. I just have to finish my wife's car first. I'll have a chance to practice drilling and tapping on that because the little hold down bolts for the front wheel speed sensors in the steering knuckles broke right off. 

Well I guess I have to re ground my pyrometer too. I was talking with Autometer about how the needle drops all the way past 0 to about the 6 or 7 o'clock position at key off and I don't think it always reads correctly when the truck is cold at key on (a little warm even when it's rueally cold out). Anyway they said it sounds like I have a bad ground which is possible because right now the ground for it is soldered together with the gauge lighting grounds and screwed into the dash frame. How do you all have your grounded? Directly to engine? That's what the guy from Autometer told me to do...

I can't speak for the Autometer gauges but with my ISSPRO gauges I just have the positive wired in series down one side and ground wired the same on the other post and I ran the ground wire into a screw in the kick panel somewhere. Works fine on both trucks, never had any issues.

1/8 npt plug not galvanized. Maybe I could use brass? 1/8 NPT tap was hard to find and even when I did it doesn't come with a drill so I still need one of them. Local hardware stores around here aren't great haha

Edited by leathermaneod

I looked at his tap and drill set. Very reasonable price too. I also called my local fastenal today and they have a tap and a drill bit. However the tap is not US made. I'm a little leary of using a Chinese tap on something so important. What do you all think? They also have a regular black steel pipe plug so that solves that. Now I just have to figure out when I can get there because they close at five every day and aren't open on weekends lol oh and I checked my antisieze and it is good from way below zero all the way to 1600°. 

You probably don't "need"

high temp most standard antisieze is good to 1,200-1600 degrees. High temp nickel is good to  2400*. Your bottle should have a temp rating. 

Edit: I see you beat me to it. As a personal rule I don't use Chinese tools for things like that. If you break a tap off you're pretty much screwed.