• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pyrometers install

I think it's a take your pick situation here, or wherever it'll fit given your current layout. Mine have been fairly close to the firewall and up as high as I can zip tie them down securely. Basically directly above or above and left of the brake pedal.

I installed the pyro and tranny amplifiers under the shifter console to the floor board. Wanted them out of the engine compartment. It has worked fine so far. The only draw back is if you have a problem with one you have to remove the console to get to them.

Interesting. Would it be safe to say mine is installed correctly with or without amp if it is working and I have realistic numbers? Only issue I have with mine is that i think it reads a little high at key on (based on outside temp when truck is cold)and when you shut it off it drops way down below the zero mark. Not sure if that's normal or not but all my readings while driving seem about right. Only real weird thing I've had with it is that my reading goes down in 3 cylinder mode rather than up.

what happens if you use the isspro without amplifier? 

Edited by leathermaneod

A mechanical gauge is connected directly to what it is reading. IE my fuel pressure gauge is connected to the fuel sytem, boost gauge is connected to the intake. Both directly connected. in order for the pyro to be mechanical it would need to not have an amplifier. Not sure how that is done, i never tried to find one. I am sure someone could explain that better than me.

Or I might be wrong!!!

Edited by dripley

Maybe that's what the Autometer is then idk. I was just looking at the instructions online and it has a k type thermocouple, but makes no mention of an amplifier. It's kinda weird though because I think it used to read more what I expected at key on, but then I had to disconnect it when I installed my fp gauge and it was a little off since then. 

Edit: no that wouldn't make sense because mine takes power from a keyed source for the gauge itself so it's not mechanical. And it also takes power for the light bulb. 

Edited by leathermaneod

Straight from isspro's website

Q. What are amplifier boxes and why are they used?
A. ISSPRO Enhanced Visibility (EV1) Gauges achieve their brilliant lighting by removing all of the circuitry out of the gauge and housing it in a separate box called a circuit, or amplifier box. By doing so the lighting is able to completely shine on the back side of the entire dial.  You will not see any dark areas like with some other brands.  The amp. boxes come with a 3 foot long, 4 wire cable that gets connected to the gauge.  A simple plug connector makes connecting the amp. box to the gauge a snap.   The amp boxes measure approximately (2-1/4")W x (2-1/4")L x (1 to 1-1/2)"H

Q. Will my gauges come with the required amplifier boxes?
A. Yes. All gauges that require them come pre-packaged at the factory with the required amp. box.  Voltmeter, Hourmeter, as well as all mechanical gauges, like boost and fuel pressure, obviously don't require them.

Basically the pyro gauge isn't going to be mechanical. Guess it wouldn't make sense for 1400* to be going directly to a gauge in the cab right?! Haha

Edited by notlimah

I have the EV series with the amplifier box.  Had it for about 10 years now.  About 7 years ago I noticed a slightly low EGT reading and ISSPRO was right there to help me diagnosis the source.  They ended up sending me a replacement amplifier and I replaced the thermocouple too just to be sure.  They do wear out from the constant barrage of exhaust heat.  The only issue ISSPRO had back then was the amplifier could make a high pitched noise but the newer ones stopped that.

I mounted mine in the cab under the dash behind the kick cover in front of the drivers legs.  The main important factor to understand is you CANNOT cut the thermocouple wires in order to reduce their length because everything is calibrated for all the wires at their specified lengths from ISSPRO. :thumbup2:

• Like 1